Booked a flight now can't go...tough luck?

gebbel

I booked a return flight to Warsaw in the middle of July. Cost €140. Now I have just found out I can't go. Very frustrating. I'm assuming it's a simple case of tough luck..the cost of the flight is non-refundable or non-transferable?
Thanks

You can transfer or reschedule the flight depending on terms of purchase.

Ryanair charge €100 for a name change and €25e/w for a rescheduling. This is separate to any charge for the difference in the cost of flights.

I think Aerlingus charge €0 if changed withing 24 hrs of booking (you won't get refund but you can change dates) but €50 per person charge outside the 24hr period.

This happened me previously when I relised I booked flights a week later than I planned to go. I phoned up next morning and was able to amend dates for free... albeit it was €60 more expensive to fly the date I wanted to change to but that was just because it was peek demand.

If its Ryanair..... I think you'll find it costs €120 to cancel the flight and they have some policy of not giving out refunds for less than €20 as "it costs" €25 to process refund.... so basicaly no chance of getting money back.

If its aer lingus I guess half of the 140 euro is taxes- you can get them back minus a 15 euro or so admin fee, so at least 50-55 euros back- better than nothing. You'll have to call them to cancel.

If its an Aer Lingus flight - you are entitled to reimbursement of government taxes and airport charges minus an administration fee of €20. They refund these monies within seven days.... I know this from experience. Ask the customer agent to send an email confirming cancellation of flight and the amount of reimbursement due. You will need this if you are to claim through travel insurance. Last year I had to issue small claims proceedings against a particular airline who refused to refund these monies... then suddenly on receipt of the notice of proceedings they paid up. This year I cancelled 3 flights and they paid the monies within 7 days. I would suggest that you read the terms and conditions of the contract with your ticket.... particularly if its with Ryan Air. If you obtained travel insurance - they may also refund the cost of the ticket under certain circumstances - again refer to the contract of insurance. Good luck.

Hi Gebbel,

if you have booked with Ryanair, it will be very difficult and costly to make any change. Ryanair changed a flight on me, I was invited to either apply for a full refund or apply for a travel credit and there the fun started. Eventhough I applied only for a travel credit on 1 leg and intended to use that travel credit to apply against a new booking for the return flight, they claim I ticket a box which applied for a travel credit for both the outward and return flight. The only way to appeal that was to write by fax to the customer service department. I wrote on the 8th may and to-date they have not responded. (various calls to their customer service dept at Eur 1 per minute plus copious reminders by fax, no response !). Now, I have been able to resolve it by completely changing my holiday arrangements and with the help of the people we rent the accomodation from who have been extremely flexible (in sharp contrast to Ryanair).

Now Michael O'Leary will tell you that 67 million passengers in Europe love his service. Well, I never was a fan anyway, but he now has at least 2 customers less. At this stage, if Ryanair is the only option left, I will not travel.

Hope you've booked with Anbody Else But Ryanair.

I booked a return flight to Warsaw in the middle of July. Cost €140. Now I have just found out I can't go. Very frustrating. I'm assuming it's a simple case of tough luck..the cost of the flight is non-refundable or non-transferable?
Thanks
In a similar situation myself at the minute and it got me to thinking. For example:

• Cost of my flights = €200 (booked 4 months ago)
  • Cost of name change (Aer Lingus) = €50 (or thereabouts)
  • Flights now sold out (and one would assume that the last 2-3 seats cost at least €250)...
Surely there's somebody somewhere who would want to travel on the same flight and who would buy my tickets for what I paid for them... am I missing something? The trick would be finding that somebody -- has anybody ever done a deal along these lines?

Update....changed the flights online. Now I am going to London. The London flights would have cost 110 euro return on the same weekend. I had already paid 140 euro return to Warsaw. I was kind of hoping to get to get the swop for free but in the end had to pay 35 euro each way to change. So the total cost to change was 70 euro. Lessons learned!

Back