book direct or use travel agent

dewdrop

for many years i have used a travel agent for holidays abroad and it always worked well. some friends say it can be much cheaper if you book flights and hotel direct. i intend going to a resort near malaga in may and a quick check on prices do not reveal any major savings. any comments would be appreciated

Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus usually charge and get the higher price for Malaga. Having said that I booked two return flights with Ryanair to Malaga airport for next month for €127 for two people. I have also picked up a one bed apartment for a week for €255 in Marbella town. All in all a week in Marbella for two people for €382. I will either get the bus from Malaga airport for a few euro or the train to Fuengirola and then a bus for a similar amount. At the moment temperatures in Marbella are 19 degrees. I did a similar trip to Benalmadena for even cheaper two Novembers ago.
I appreciate I am doing this in the off season and unlikely to get these prices in the summer time. I suppose it is down to doing your homework. For example the Skol apartments in Marbella (didn't go there in the end) charge different prices for apartments with seaview rooms or west facing apartments.