Book baggage onward to second destination

browtal

Does anybody know if I can book my baggage forward:

I fly into New York and 2 hours later catch a flight for Charlotte, North Carolina. It would be great to book baggage forward. My first flight is with Aer Lingus onwards with US Airways.
Thanks Browtal

I have always been able to check bags straight through, however, at first landing in the US have always had to pick up bags after immigration and bring them through security. I doubt this has changed since I last flew with a connecting US domestic flight but am open to correction!

Was the trip boked as one journey, i.e. did you just book once, or 2 seperate trips for each leg? If you booked it once under one trip you will need to collect baggage, leave arrivals, then check in again at the main desk.

If you are issued your boarding pass at the Aer Lingus desk for your second flight you pick your bag up in New York, go through security screening for baggage, then pass through connections.

All airports in the US require you to pick up your bag at connections i believe.

Many thanks for your help.
I booked two separate flights. One with Aer Lingus, one with US Airways.
I have just 2 hours to make the connection I am a bit concerned to know if I can make it in time.
Which option will I have, will I have to change terminal or can I check in baggage in arrival area.
I am also meeting my 85 year old cousin at JFK to travel to Charlotte.
Thanks Browtal

As you're flying on a separate ticket from JFK - Charlotte ... I don't imagine that you'll be able to through check your bags

However provided you're on an Aer Lingus flight that pre-clears immigration in Dublin it shouldn't be a big problem ... arrive at JFK .. and grab your bags and then I wouldn't bother to re-check them at the desks in the International Terminal (if US Airways even have a desk there?)

You'll need to then catch the Air Train from T-4 where you arrive around to T-7 where US Airways leaves from .. it takes about 2 minutes to do this - trains are very frequent

The just check in for your US Airways flight in T-7 when you meet your cousin and take the short flight down to CLT ... it shouldn't be a problem even if the Aer Lingus flight is running a little late.

Many thanks for the information, I will follow it and look forward to the trip. Regards Browtal

Hi Fellow AAM's clients who replied to my enquiry,
I arrived at Shannon airport and assked if I could book my luggage onward. They said it was not possible since the flight was not booked at the same time.
On board the flight I met 6 other passengers who had booked their luggage onwards to same destination. I enquired at Shannon on arrival back and was told I could have booked onward. It seems it depends on who you meet.
It was no problem to collect luggage and take train to the other terminal, with lots of time to share.
Many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my enquiry. Browtal.