boiler problem

djkat

Hi Everyone

I was sitting watching a bit of tv last night and all of a sudden i heard a drip from my boiler press

I noticed there was a drip coming from my boiler, i also noticed that the pressure was very high, could this be the problem that there was water dripping from it,

Where can i let the pressure down?

The boiler is only a year old

Thanks

What's very high? 1 2 3 4 ?

Sounds like you have gas, there are safety features built in that make it drip outside on high pressure - that's not to say that your plumber ensured that the pressure relief was put outside.

Hi Davidoco

Yes i have gas and it was all upgraded a year ago with new rads

It was up at the highest like in the red mark of the meter

There is a pressure pipe going out to the yard

You have to be extra careful with the gas and I've no qualification to deal with gas but on the plumbing side if it's gone that high your pressure relief valve is gone faulty and/or the water (top up) inlet valve is letting extra water into the system.

On the pressure relief valve you can turn the black knob and release some pressure. If it goes back up again within a relatively quick period of time (minutes) the inlet must be open or faulty!

There are a few other reasons why pressure can go up but troubleshoot the pressure relief and inlet first.

Watch out though cause the pressure relief and the top up (filling valve) are sometimes both black in colour.

thanks davidoco

Ill try that tonight

This valve, would it be on a kind of flexable pipe with a little kind of a tap on it

The inlet may have a flexible pipe but the pressure relief will almost certainly not.

I wouldn't recommond letting off pressure from the pressure relief valve as it may not sit again properly. stick a pot under a rad and let water out through the vent, slow but better. I would agree with david on everything else though.

A plumber will do it for you in this order
1.ensure that there is adequate air in the expansion vessel
2. top up / pressurise and vent the system.
3. isolate the system from the rising main or plumbing pipe-work

He would be wise not to vent rads without establishing that the expansion vessel is functioning properly.

Many sealed system leaks and breakdowns are the result of failure to maintain the air cushion in the expansion vessel.

Back