Boiler Output getting the right one

Johnny Boy

Is it easy to figure out what size boiler one needs to heat the house properly.How many Kw one would need,eg my house is a dormer and the area is 220sqM. I am installing rads. Is there some sort of rule of thumb?

there is actually a piece of software that allows u to input the room details and hey presto it will give u the rad sizes. It also allows u to split the rads if u have 2 in a room. A plumber will use a wheel guage.

here is the link for the software.

http://www.quinn-radiators.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

good luck and come back if u need more. I just had a brand new system put in and now an expert. Barlo rads are ace. SOLO are tops but have a fan so no good in a bedroom say.

noah

For that size of house I would estimate you will need a boiler output of 21kW. I'm building a house myself 240 sq M and will be installing a pellet boiler with a 25 kW output. UFH downstairs and rads upstairs will be my option. No point installing an underfloor circuit upstairs when it will be covered by beds wardrobes etc.
When buying a boiler check that it has the German TUV rating or CE marking. This is a good indicator of quality.Expect to pay about 4K for an oil boiler and about 8K for a pellet boiler (grant €4200) so little difference. Oil may be cheap now but wood pellets are the future

Back