BOI workers on strike

Shawady

Anyone know whats behind this one?
It has been reported that the staff in question are looking for a pay increase that had been aggreed some time ago but not implemented, but a spokeman for the union said it was 'not a pay increase, but reducing a pay decrease'

[broken link removed]

It has been reported that the staff in question are looking for a pay increase that had been aggreed some time ago but not implemented, but a spokeman for the union said it was 'not a pay increase, but reducing a pay decrease'
The logic behind that was that, given that the pay increase had already been ageed then to not pay it was in effect a pay decrease.

When people start abusing the english language to suit their argument I turn off.

Isn't there also an issue regarding "performance related bonuses" (I could be wrong), also part of the agreement, that haven't been paid. Again the inference being that it is in effect a pay cut because a bonus is always part of your salary and not, you know, a bonus.

Also interesting that some in the banking sector feel entitled to "performance related bonuses".

When your team makes hundreds of millions in profit and receive no "performance related bonus" you wonder what you need to do to get one. Yes, they're not guaranteed, but they're meant to compensate for the unpaid extra hours you work in achieveing your goals. I'm so happy I worked 23 days in a row last year!

However, I haven't gone on strike!

When your team makes hundreds of millions in profit and receive no "performance related bonus" you wonder what you need to do to get one. Yes, they're not guaranteed, but they're meant to compensate for the unpaid extra hours you work in achieveing your goals. I'm so happy I worked 23 days in a row last year!

Yes working 23 days in a row is terrible and it is nice to get a bonus. But when banks have been bailed out by tax payers money, they can hardly pay thier staff bonuses in the same year, that would be very wrong

Yes working 23 days in a row is terrible and it is nice to get a bonus. But when banks have been bailed out by tax payers money, they can hardly pay thier staff bonuses in the same year, that would be very wrong

I agree. I know what happened isn't the fault of the ordinary level bank staff but, given that we're all taking a cut in our pay to bail out the banks and will probably be paying more tax from next year as well to sort out the mess, I don't think too many people would be happy to see some of that money going on bonuses to staff.

I'm so happy I worked 23 days in a row last year!

Well I think its good and can say without a doubt I wouldn't be able to do it.

Is it not illegal under the European Working Time Directive though?

surely at the moment bank of ireland is way over staffed, presumably they cant get rid of workers because of the government bail out, the bank is only in operation because of government intervention, therefore workers dont deserve any payment, let them go on strike, banking isn't a critical utility anymore , the electricians probably have more clout now than bank workers because of the effect the electricians strike had on the multinationals whom the governent are desperate to keep

yea, for three weeks. That'll hardly kill anyone.

Was merely one of many examples. Basic hours are 9:00 to 5:15 (I think) which is what my salary covers. Long hours are part of my job, I wont complain about them, I knew what I signed up for. However, the whole point of the bonus is to pay you for the extra, the bit I get no overtime for. Why do you think so many people apply for the banking jobs in London? They'll work 18 hour days, but get their salary (and then some) back in the form of a bonus as well.

The logic behind that was that, given that the pay increase had already been ageed then to not pay it was in effect a pay decrease.

When people start abusing the english language to suit their argument I turn off.

Do you think you will be missed?

you don't work for your team, you work for Bank of Ireland. The reality is that Bank of Ireland, your employers is in significant financial difficulty, has had to be bailed out by the taxpayer and in effect, the taxpayer is being asked to fund your bonus. Your teams performance is admirable but completly irrelevant

you don't work for your team, you work for Bank of Ireland. The reality is that Bank of Ireland, your employers is in significant financial difficulty, has had to be bailed out by the taxpayer and in effect, the taxpayer is being asked to fund your bonus. Your teams performance is admirable but completly irrelevant

Excellent post, right to the point.

Would'nt the best way to sort this dispute be for both parties to return to the Labour Court for binding clarification of the original Labour Court recommendation ?

Indeed. Which is why I am now working half the hours I used to and getting paid the same :)

Back