BOI Student Account

jillyb

Hi i opened a bank of Ireland student account 4 years ago & i think i it still is a student account. i switched college courses so i'm still in college. is there a time limit on student accounts? do i need to contact them to ensure i still have a student account?
i'm sure i still have one as i don't pay any fees bar the government levy on laser card. Just not sure as i did have to pay overdraft fees. thanks

I opened a student bank account with BOI in 1998 and it was only when i went in to talk to them about a mortgage did they realise i wasn't a student anymore even though i had graduated and been in a job for three years, so they changed it. I'd say the likehood is they haven't done anything with your account, the easiest thing is to go into your college branch and ask

It is up to the branch to manually update the status of the account. I am still a student on one account opened 17 years ago.

Towger

JillyB, The bank cannot change the status on your a/c without your signature & acknowledgement of the details of the upgrade. It would be changing T & C's that you haven't signed up for. If however you stated on your a/c application form that you were due to Graduate in '06 this could be taken to mean that you would then no longer be a student & you could have been updated to Graduate then. It's important to check with your branch.

There is no time limit on student a/c's as long as you are still on a full time course ie. more than 20hrs pw. You may need to show your Student Card to show this if you need your a/c to be re-graded a Student a/c.

Even when you Graduate you will still get free banking for 2yrs after your Graduation date. It is up to you to tell your branch of your new status. There are different benefits for different stages eg. a Graduate loan gets a discounted rate. The only people that get the Govt Duty paid on ATM cards are BOI 2nd Level a/c holders.

If your details had been correctly input on a/c opening, you would have gotten a letter out on your expected time to Graduate with a form to fill in informing your bank of your new status & your a/c would have been updated accordingly.

A student does not pay OD fees AFAIK, so check on that one. Contact your branch & they will answer any questions you may have & they will be delighted to correct any errors that may be on your a/c.

The reason that some people still have even 2nd level a/c's for yrs after is that the computer systems were not as good in the past - still not great I must admit ! - but now if your details are put in correctly each stage will be flagged & you will be notified.

Hope this clarifies. BTW yes I do work with BOI.

JillyB, The bank cannot change the status on your a/c without your signature & acknowledgement of the details of the upgrade. It would be changing T & C's that you haven't signed up for./QUOTE]

Perplexed,

You had better tell your Blackrock branch that. My 'personal banker' did that only a few weeks ago, on another student current account I opened over 10 years ago. No signature sent and no letter received, just said they were going to do it during a phone call trying to sell extra services.

Towger

Towger, you probably did put your details ie year to sit Leaving Cert/Graduate in your original a/c opening form. During the phone call you did confirm that you were no longer a student I presume.

In your case I would say they were just confirming. I stand corrected ...it is "Best Practice" to get a signature but not essential if your confirmation is received & you have been notified.

Back