BOI and 'migrant workers'

zag

I wanted to download a form from the BOI website and came across this usefull page - [broken link removed]

I love their use of the phrase "To support migrant workers in Ireland as we have translated . . ."

Are they only interested in the migrant workers ? Do BOI have a policy of not supporting non-migrant (i.e. permanent) workers from these countries or do they require these workers to return to their native country after a few years . . . ?

Clumsy terminology in my view.

There is also the extra 'as' in there, but that's just clumsy proofing.

z

Are they only interested in the migrant workers ? Do BOI have a policy of not supporting non-migrant (i.e. permanent) workers from these countries or do they require these workers to return to their native country after a few years . . . ?
I don't see that their comments imply that they don't "support" non migrant workers or think that others don't "support" migrant workers if that's what you're saying.
Clumsy terminology in my view.
Can't see how.
There is also the extra 'as' in there, but that's just clumsy proofing.
Yes.

I don't have a gripe. I do have a question though.

That question is - "Are they only interested in the migrant workers ?"

To help you understand the issue better, let me suggest an alternative wording they might have used - "To support people who speak Russian, Polish & Latvian in Ireland as we have translated . . ."

Whether they are migrant workers, 2nd generation ex-pat family, students, refugees, or anything else is not relevant to the language that BOI have kindly used in their translations.

z

"Have you tried asking them?" No - I don't know who within the organisation to ask. I believed it might have been easier to post in Letting Off Steam instead.

It seems my belief was incorrect.

z

A migrant worker is just someone working in a country who is a non-national. You don't have to be returning anywhere after a few years to be classed as one.

> A migrant worker is just someone working in a country who is a non-
> national.

The son or daughter of a Polish person isn't a migrant worker but might like to have access to such information in their own language.

A student from Russia isn't a migrant worker but might like to have access to such information in their own language.

Someone from Russia who now lives here permanently and is a citizen isn't a migrant worker but might like to have access to such information in their own language.

It's clumsy wording, nothing strictly wrong with it, of course it'll be of benefit to migrant workers, but it's silly to think that only migrant workers would be interested in using their own language.

-Rd

All fair points but the OP was suggesting that BOI, by using the term 'migrant workers' meant only people passing through Ireland and the bank 'required them' to return home after a number of years. Bit unfair on the bank as that is not what a migrant worker is. Might be clumsy writing but to be fair to BOI, at least they are translating documents.

My second question in my original post was meant somewhat tongue in cheek - I didn't honestly suspect BOI of having this policy. It was meant to highlight that if they don't have a policy of distinguishing between 'migrant workers' and other Russian or Polish speakers then their use of the term wasn't necessary and was a case of sloppyness on their part.

I do think that translating their documentation into other languages is helpful and I have no issue with that aspect.

z