Bogus Bord Gas maintenance - is this a scam?

csirl

Received the following yesterday:

"Dear Mrs. ABC

As one of our values customers we are writing to inform you that you are due an annual maintenance on your central heating boiler. Maintenance basicaly ensures the performance of your boiler. This is essential to keep you boiler running well while operating safely and using the minimal amount of fuel.

Please confirm that it is suitable for one of our engineers to call on date: 00/00/08 Time: 3:30pm. If however you wish to make any special arrangements, please contact us before the aforementioned date.

Many thnaks for your continued business."

The correspondence has 2 very prominant Bord Gais logos on top and the logo of another company to the top left. Contact details were below the Bord Gais logos, but we for the other company.

I have a number of problems with this as follows:

1. The person it is addressed to "Mrs ABC" is a previous owner of my house and moved out several years ago. She is since deceased.

2. The house has NEVER been connected to the Gas network and so has never had gas central heating (though some neighbouring houses do).

3. Talks about "annual maintenance" - but this is the first contact from this company since I've lived in the house - so havent done or asked to do "annual maintenance" in last few years.

4. I dont see how they could have a contract with a customer to do ongoing maintenance on a gas boiler than never existed.

5. Putting in a time and date for their engineer to visit without asking?

My impression of the above is that it is aimed at Bord Gais customers and trying to give the impression that the customer is due a maintenance visit from Bord Gais and set a date for the visit. Engineer then turns up, does work (or maybe pretends to do work) and customer gets billed for the maintenance that they did not require.

Anyone else get one of these? I also assume that they must mail shot a lot of random addresses knowing that a high percentage would be Bord Gais customers and would fall for it?

Any views?

Haven't gotten one but definitely looks dodgy - you might send a mail/copy to BG as they may want to warn customers. Probably the worst thing that can happen is that you get your boiler serviced by a cowboy operation - but it could be a lot more sinister and I wouldn't fancy letting someone unofficial into my house. You're right, people could easily fall for it. I wonder is the company registered with the CRO...

Sprite

my sinister mind tells me that this is someone trying to gain entry to someones house either to rob them or case the joint to rob them. Did you try ringing the contact number on the letter to "change the time" is it bord gais you get through to? is it a real number?

my sinister mind tells me that this is someone trying to gain entry to someones house either to rob them or case the joint to rob them. Did you try ringing the contact number on the letter to "change the time" is it bord gais you get through to? is it a real number?

My thoughts too.

If you decide to call Board Gais, don't take the number off that letter, if it's a scam of any sort they'll be expecting you to call (since they asked you to confirm the appointment). Get BG number from Golden pages, given them a call and check if it's legit.

OP - were the typos in your quoting of the letter verbatim or are they your typing errors? If they're spelling mistakes in the letter let that be answer enough for you - dodgy spelling is usually a sign of a scam.

OP - were the typos in your quoting of the letter verbatim or are they your typing errors? If they're spelling mistakes in the letter let that be answer enough for you - dodgy spelling is usually a sign of a scam.

you mean that photocopied letter I got saying a won the euromilliones was a lie?

I know that my elderly father would fall for this scam completely. As soon as he gets any sort of official looking bill he pays it regardless. We have recently discovered that he is paying an annual NTL bill and a two monthly bill, both with different account numbers.

Back