Bodies Exhibition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remey

Has anyone been to this? If so would you recommend?

Heard on the radio this morning that the medical colleges are asking people not to go. Why?

Havent heard much about it but would be curious to see it.

I posted a reply to this in Gift Ideas and suggestions - don't know how this topic got there!

It's only opening tomorrow. I have tickets for next week and I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't think there is a problem with viewing 'dead bodies' per se, the problem is that these bodies were used because they were left unclaimed in Chinese hospitals. Under Chinese law these corpses were seen as fair game to exploit in this manner. How would we feel if on a tour of the world we suddenly saw a long-lost relative treated in this manner and displayed on a podium in some gallery.
As for any medical info it is meant to impart, I firmly believe that the majority of people who visit it are not there for the medical information but for the voyuristic element of the show.
I am all for people knowing about how thier bodies work, and the importance of medical students,nurses and others in the medical world having access to cadavers in the course of their training, provided consent has been granted and the person is granted the human dignity which we all hope will be meted out to us one day.
I am also of the opinion that contrary to the way this exhibition is being marketed that in fact it is not 'suitable for all ages'.

I visited Gunter von Hagens 'Body worlds' exhibition at the o2 in London just before Christmas. http://www.visitlondon.com/bodyworlds/plan/about-the-venue

It was amazing and I recommend people to visit the exhibition. It was hugely educational.

Gunter von Hagen is very well known. He developed a method to preserve bodies known as 'plastination'. He had a fascinating series called 'autopsy' which was aired on c4 last year.

All of the people at his exhibition consented to their bodies been used in this way.

The 'bodies' exhibition in Dublin i dont think has anything to do with Gunter. It looks like a copy cat sort of exhibition si im not sure if its as good as his.

I also an weary of all the people been Chinese. I wouldnt believe that all these people consented to their remains been used like this. It makes this particular exhibition a bit murky.

I heard a discussion about it on the Derek Mooney show during the week. A pyhsiotherapist was asked to go to the preview and report her reactions. She was very enthusiastic about it and recommended it highly for people who wanted to learn about different parts of the body, muscles, organs, etc. There were some questions about how the bodies were obtained, but the guy in charge seemed to give OK replies. After hearing the review, I will definitely try to get along to it. I'm of the generation who never learned a thing about bodies (human or otherwise) in school, so I really feel ignorant. As an aside, I gathered that anyone who wants to give up smoking should go to it. It shows the difference between a healthy lung and that of someone who smoked.

I would not go.

Not because the sight of a body without skin would upset me but more because these people are unclaimed Chinese people. And as we know China doesn't exactly have a good human rights record. I can picture a family wondering where their love one has vanished to, imagine their reaction when you tell them they are part of a freak show in Dublin .

part of a freak show in Dublin .

Its not a freak show at all. Its like visiting a museum. I posted a more extensive post on the other thread.

To suggest its a freak show shows an ignorance of what it really is. Its a fantastically educational exhibition.

As an earlier poster pointed out, it doesn't sound "suitable for all ages". I heard on Newstalk yesterday that cancer riddled organs and black lungs form part of the exhibition. It sounds a tad ghoulish rather than educational in my view.

As an earlier poster pointed out, it doesn't sound "suitable for all ages". I heard on Newstalk yesterday that cancer riddled organs and black lungs form part of the exhibition. It sounds a tad ghoulish rather than educational in my view.

Totally suitable for all ages. There were plenty of children there and they were fascinated by it. Its all presented in a clinical fashion, there is absolutely no 'ugh' factor. I overheard 2 little girls swearing vehemently that they would never smoke after seeing the smokers lungs - that cant be a bad thing. The best comparison I can make is that its like the Science Museum in London. A scientific exhibition about the human body. Like an anatomy book brought to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back