Boden Park/Boden Heath Rathfarnham

G

Gab

Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion on these estates - Boden Heath are the new development beside Boden Park.
What is the traffic into town like in the mornings?

Thanks

Well the four storey appartment blocks are completely timber frame (what happens in the event of a fire or a burst mains - scary) and you are opposite a traveller caravan site / settled traveller social housing scheme

How much are they charging again?

I live quite close to these new apartments - the traveller /social housing scheme has been there for a good few years now and to the best of my knowledge there has never being any trouble. I pass by six times a day and it is very quiet.
As for the morning traffic - well, I suppose it is no worse or no better than other places. I go down Ballyboden Rd around 7.50 am and generally I pass the Yellow House around 8.00 am, so it is not too bad. It can get a bit slower, back to the Tuning Fork, from about 8.20 onwards.
One thing I noticed about that site however - they were built on very wet ground. That field flooded in the Winter time, don't know if that is a factor now though.

i remember see'n these being built as I drive by this way several times a week. I couldn't beleive how quickly they were built and also how flimsy they looked with the timber frames. I was saying to myself going by that they'r going to blow away some day,literally. I can only imagine the noise inside them. Unlike a concrete wall you have some chance of absorbing some of the noise from your neighbours...
I wouldn't mind but there in a great location so why didnt they build them better,ie with concrete. Would be worth a hell of alot more imo.
I'm not a builder just what id imagine!

Hi,

I've been looking at this Development too and am waiting to hear on prices etc. However, I felt I had to reply on some of the incorrect assumptions made about timber frame construction. My parents built a timber frame house last year and before that, I probably had a negative view towards timber frame but that's because I knew nothing about it!

Derryman, you say 'what happens in the event of a fire? - scary'. Do you honestly think that if timber frame houses were a fire risk, they would be allowed to be built?! Timber frame houses meet all fire standards required under the current building regulations. Insurance and financial institutions do not differentiate between timber frame and masonry construction.

Corco2000 - Sound insulation is better in timber frame houses due to a) the fact that they can put triple the thickness of insulation in. Also, timber frame party walls provide better acoustic reduction than masonry walls. Plus, you will probably never have to turn on your central heating as in my parents new house, a candle is enough to heat up the place, the insulation is so good! Also, how can they look flimsy? They are not wooden houses - only the frame is wooden - there is brickwork around the exterior so they are hardly going to blow away. I don't think they's build them if they thought there'd be a repeat of the Wizard of Oz!

Also, timber frame houses often sell for more money. My parents house is 1600 square feet and the outer structure alone i.e. the brickwork shell with timber frame etc has been valued at €1.2 million. The apartments in Charlesland, Greystones, are timber frame and they are not being sold 'on the cheap'.!

Sorry - don't mean to be on the attack but just pointing out a few facts

Timber frame construction composed of wooden barriers above, below, left, right, front, back do not present an effective barrier to fire travelling within an apartment complex - ever try to dry out sodden wood beams.

In an apartment block the only effective barrier in this case is an inert substance that fully seals the unit, the norm in this case is concrete - simply does not burn - steel skeleton encased in concrete and full concrete shell is the best for apartments. I note that the same developer having built the first two apartment blocks in timber frame then subsequently reverted to a steel skeleton encased in concrete and full concrete shell structure for the third and final one. Possibly this was to meet with the social housing aspect and style demanded by the SDCC.

Not talking about detached houses - but for the record, the developer is also building two rows of terraced houses - fully concrete block built.

Hi,

Boden Heath is a quality spot. The surrounding neighbourhoods are upmarket and classy. In my opinion, Ballyboden is a great spot to rear a family. The development is surrounded by golf courses, public parks, private schools and it only takes 20 minutes to drive to the Square and Dundrum Town Center.

The M50 is only 5 minutes away. The traffic moves quite easily through Ballyboden, however, it will take at least an hour to get into town between the 07.45 - 09.00 period.

Ballyboden is definitely hot at the moment. Famous past and present residents have included W.B Yeats, Adam Clayton, Padraig Harrington, Paul McGinley, Damien Duff and Collie Moran.

I would recommend Ballyboden to anyone and these apartments. The only question is whether a two bed apartment is worth over a half a million?

Paul McGinley is from Rathfarnham.

I'm also not too sure on what unfluences W.B still has over the area or a reason to buy a house there?!

I lived in Rathfarnham for 23 years, went to school in Coláiste Eanna for 6 so I know the area pretty well.

€505,000 for a 2 bed with a size of 730 sq/ft when I bought a 2 bed in Castleknock for €415,000 with a size of 900 sq/ft and it's closer to town with a far better public transport network? The amount of times I waited for the buses from Rathfarnham.............. ZZZZzzzz.

You're paying for the area plain and simple but then again, they all sold out within hours so somebody thinks they're a good buy.

I went to see the showhouse on Sunday and I have to say I didnt like the layout at all. Kitchen in the centre of the house seemed to really make the sitting room at the back of the house tiny.

Having said that I loved the apt layout and the colours used were really nice.

Its an excellent location but when u consider that u can buy second hand in Boden Park for a bigger house with stamp duty and still come in under €600k it seemed a bit fair fetched charging €660k for a smaller sized 3 bed semi in Boden Heath.

I have to agree with Sweet Pea on the timber frame issue, timber frame buildings are perfectly safe, wood does not burn easily/quickly, it chars on the outside forming a protective charcoal layer, giving occupants plenty of time to evacuate. Concrete/steel may not "burn" like wood but are substantially weakened by high temperature.

I would have no hesitation in buying a timber frame construction. The concrete industry in Ireland are going a great job of scaremongering.

Basically all house in Australia are timber framed even with the risk of bush fires.

Not to be morbid, but the twin towers were made with steel and concrete and they collapsed due to the heat from the initial fire.

I live in the area and can vouch for the bus service from boden park/heath. I use the 15 or 15c to travel to work in town every morning around 9.30, it's very reliable. Because you're right near to the terminus for both routes you can work the timetable to determine the exact time to leave the house. Spent the previous 25 years living on the 46a route and used to have to wait a lot more!

Service from town out that direction used to be a tad patchy during peak times (5pm-6pm) but seems to have righted itself.