BMW320D or Accord2.2iCDTi

Cuppa

Trying to decide between 2 cars both 2005 BMW320DSE older model and an Accord2.2iCDTi hoping to import so should save on road tax. BMW has higher miles and is £500 more expensive. Any opinions on these? Which would be more economical or reliable or just the better car. Thanks

I've had a 00 and two 02 320d's (upgraded to MTEC), i'm totally biased to them, I've never had a problem with any of them. I drove them on aswell usally getting 450 - 500 to a tank. I did 2 trips to dublin and a trip out to ennis and back(based in Limerick) and the orange light just came on, that was 560 miles of 50 - 70 mile an hour driving.I have nothing bad to say about the honda they are nice looking but if it was my money it would be the 320d.

There was a theory that any BMW 3 series pre 2004 was troublesome but it proved to be not the case for the most part. Agree with previous poster the 320dse — in the words of Padraig Flynn — is a class act. The Honda Accord a good car also but in terms of look the BMW is miles ahead and performs well too.

On pre 2008 cars you pay vrt on co2 emissions but you pay road tax on engine size.Would you be saving money on the honda?you can get a fully loaded 07 for 25k

All depends what you really want.
Great Spec - Honda
Great Value - Honda
Great Drive - BMW
Great Residuals - BMW

We recently bought an Accord and the level of spec is far beyond that of a similarly priced BMW. In fact the similarly equipped/mileage BMW would probably cost us another 5-7k at least
The Honda is one of the most reliable cars out there.
The BMW will handle better on the twisties but if you're not an 'enthusiastic' driver, then this will probably not bother you.
The BMW will sell for more later on but then you will have paid much more for it in the first place.

Please note however, the larger engine size in the Honda means higher road tax (old cc-based system)

Thanks for the replys. The Honda Accord has loads of Spec but the BMW looks good, I am importing so should get the new VRT rates. Would the honda not be more environmentally friendly?

Trying to decide between 2 cars both 2005 BMW320DSE older model and an Accord2.2iCDTi hoping to import so should save on road tax. BMW has higher miles and is £500 more expensive. Any opinions on these? Which would be more economical or reliable or just the better car. Thanks

I would be a bmw fan, but
I wonder about importing a 05 old model, when you go to sell it in a few years time a lot of people buying 05 will want the new shape. Even when I see 05's on the road now I often think "you should have held out for the new model." But I would be the same with alot of cars an old model 03 Avensis etc.
That said the accord is a nice car but love my 320! and have never had any real bother with it.
As mentioned above with either you won't save on annual road tax just on the vrt.

Are you sure? Would have thought the Accord would hold it's value a bit better TBH.

nope, not really judging by what I saw recently. Poverty spec BMW (crappy cloth seats, non-elec windows in the back, rubbish wheels, no kit etc) with 100k+ miles for big money. Lunacy really. But then people pay big money for them in the first place just to have a BMW and 'need' the money back when they go to resell it.
Then those with the good specced cars see the crappy ones at high prices and price theirs accordingly higher.

That's why smart s.h. buyers go to the UK.

Back