BMW X3 fault - just out of warranty!

zippitydooda

Hi there,

I bought a 2005 BMW X3 from a BMW dealer in Dublin in Jan08. The warranty expired at end Jan09. 4 weeks later 3 lights came on the dashboard and it looks like the transfer box might be kaput...estimate is around €3K but thats without looking into it - it could be worse.

I contacted the dealer and they've said tough luck - best we could do is a 10% discount on servicing it (but I can get it done by someone else cheaper than this anyways).

Have I any grounds here to contest their responsibilty for selling me a car that would fail within 13 months - it's not driveable and won't pass its NCT which is now due....or should I just fork out the cash and thank God that it's not a write off :-(

the warranty is out. what do you expect? charity?

I`m afraid I have to agree with spursfan here.
If it had gone faulty a day before the warranty was up the garage would have had to pay out for it, a day after and you have to pay out.

I think the point of the thread is not an expectation of charity, rather a quesiton or morals - given the fact that you have bought from a main dealer, and presumably paid a premium for a BMW warranty, you would expect not to have a problem when the car is just out of warranty - I for one would expect the garage to make some gesture of goodwill .

Back