BMW Vs Mercedes

I had a Z3 2.2 lt petrol 6 cylinder, then a 318 4 cylinder coupe and now I have a 320 diesel coupe sport 4 cylinder.
The 2.2 is better than the 1.8 but the 2 leter diesel is fantastic, very smoothe and quiet. Quieter and smoother a petrol merc.

Yeah but diesels sounds like tractors

Just kidding...modern diesels are great. I'm still a petrol head though...for the noise if nothing else.

Y'see the first thing you need to do when buying a car is ignore your wife...or listen to her very carefully and then do the exact opposite. Most women when they're looking for a car look for stuff like..."I want a blue one"

(I'm going to get slated for this one)...

You will not sell on that CLK in manual format. Honest...you just won't. People do not buy big Mercs in manual format. It's one of life's givens...like...oh...I don't know...never tell a woman her bum looks big in those jeans...that kinda thing. Just don't do it!!!!! You'll regret it.

Oh...and one more thing...you're way too young to be driving that CLK. It's your money and all that but you're too young. It's an older mans car.

Well as you say I should listen to the wife but then do the exact opposite, in that case I should deffo be getting the CLK

I've been looking on web all night, found a nice looking 325ci for similar money;

[broken link removed]

Anyone have any dealings with motorvation before??

The leather looks a little worn for only 30k miles on it...

I'll be honest I've been looking for a beemer for a while, the CLK just took my fancy when I saw it last week.

I'm 28 and drive a 316 which i change every year. There is no way i'd consider even looking at a merc for at least anoter 20 years! Mercs are for the 50's and over!

The leather looks a little worn for only 30k miles on it...

There wasn't the slightest hint of wear when I sold my '02 BMW with leather last year at around the same mileage. Sounds like there's a good chance it's been clocked.

Does it have a main dealer FSH? have you checked it out? if not, walk away: there's plenty more of them, and you don't want to buy a whole lot of trouble.

Ooooh...sorry...I seem to be putting nothing but dampners on everything you say.

I'm not specifically referring to that dealer...but em...there are a lot of dealers out there selling dodgy and or clocked bmw's (not just beamers either). When I was looking for mine last year I came across a whole host of them. I also nearly bought a clocked 320 til I did a HPI check on it.
Be VERY careful buying from non-main car dealers who stock nice motors. VERY CAREFUL! Treat every one of them like it's got something wrong with it...guilty until proven innocent. I've read ALL the horror stories. Lot of the dealers in question happen to be situated around one particular industrial estate in Dublin [hint hint]

The Irish motor industry is full of unscrupulous car dealers. It's not just full of them like one or two bad apples...more like it's a way of life for these guys. Finding scrupulous car dealers is rare in this country. I learnt a lot about it last year...

More advice - before you go to buy anything post it up here first. You'll get sound advice on what to look out for.

fwiw, BMW's are not the paragon of reliability everyone thinks they are - even compared to Merc's. And that includes the infamous 320d. Nice cars to drive, admittedly. FWIW, I did drive an e-class for a while, W211, and I loved it - a class above the C - literally, but especially in quality. The C is, well.........of near Mondeo quality. An old one - I test drove an 01 with high miles, was a complete bag of nails. Rattles, noise.

Oh, and yes, you cannot give away a Merc with a manual gearbox. So, if you would drive a Merc with a manual gearbox, and cloth upholstery, the world is your oyster - the garages of Ireland are awash with them.

I just rang Motorvation for some details on a car for Cartell.ie, i.e. reg, chassis number, etc. The guy was very unhelpful and would not give me the details. In my opinion if a dealer is unwilling to give you the details necessary to do a proper car check then walk away...

Think of that a minute: genuine car for sale from a genuine dealer. Somone rings up looking for those details: clearly not a time waster (as what time waster would look for them?). Maybe two minutes effort to get them. Why on earth wouldn't they do so?

Methinks walking away is the sensible thing to do...

you sound like my wife as she keeps saying to me

jerk in a merc or
weener in a beemer and all because she says
I'm bored with my ford!!),

would she say

a lively hood in an Alfa sud?
or

past it in a passat?

silly in a mini

hag in a jag

creep in a jeep

feel free to add your own brand

first off, well under 50 at only 29 - you sound like my wife as she keeps saying to me jerk in a merc or weener in a beemer and all because she says I'm bored with my ford!!),

Here`s hoping you dont change your mind and get a punto!!

or a truck or a tanker !

Chancer in a Lancer (Evo probably)

Or if you're Spanish, Pajero in a Pajero

purplealien and lots of other people said:
IMercs are for the 50's and over!

Why? I am 22 and would much prefer a Merc. From what I can see, BMWs- no offence but especially the 3 series- seem to be often driven by yuppie "new money" types. Mercs are for the real rich people!!!