BMW Transmission issue

jim

Hi

I have a bmw 330e, few years old. I have noticed for a few months now that when im accelerating through the gears (automatic) about an hour into driving when engine is heated up, the car starts to chugg and shake and looses power. I usually just ease off and drive in cruise control and i dont then encounter the problem.

its a hybrid And this happens when driving in petrol more so than electric.

Recently instead of easing off i pushed further on accelerator when this occurred, just to see what would happen. An orange alert came on dashborad saying "drivetrain. Possible to continue journey". So i drove on. 20 mins later a red alert came on amd told me to shut down the car. So i did. I rang roadside assistance and had it towed.

Garage rang me today and have suggested that a flush of the transmission may solve it at a cost of 600+vat. Seemingly it isnt guaranteed to fix it but im inclined to try it.

Has anyone ever encountered this or have any knowledge or opinions on this please?

Thank you.

Garage rang me today and have suggested that a flush of the transmission may solve it at a cost of 600+vat.
Main stealers? Any specific error codes from the diagnostic software? Surely they can do better than charge big bucks for a possible solution?

BMW forums?

The alternative is a new transmission at cost of 8k direct from bmw.

Or do nothing as the car still drives.

A lot of codes were comming up and they were able to clear them seemingly.

@jim - couple of years back I needed to get a merc's transmission flushed as the automatic was slipping in low gear (2nd to 3rd). Not the same as your issue, as mine was in low speed going up the gears - cost was about a hunderd or so lower than your quote , but it was not with a main dealer. Think it was a double flush that needed to be done at the time. Also showed up a leak in the transmission. They added something to the fluid to help seal. Resolved the issue for me at the time. Was expensive, but needs and musts...

Reactions: jim
Hi

I have a bmw 330e, few years old. I have noticed for a few months now that when im accelerating through the gears (automatic) about an hour into driving when engine is heated up, the car starts to chugg and shake and looses power. I usually just ease off and drive in cruise control and i dont then encounter the problem.

its a hybrid And this happens when driving in petrol more so than electric.

Recently instead of easing off i pushed further on accelerator when this occurred, just to see what would happen. An orange alert came on dashborad saying "drivetrain. Possible to continue journey". So i drove on. 20 mins later a red alert came on amd told me to shut down the car. So i did. I rang roadside assistance and had it towed.

Garage rang me today and have suggested that a flush of the transmission may solve it at a cost of 600+vat. Seemingly it isnt guaranteed to fix it but im inclined to try it.

Has anyone ever encountered this or have any knowledge or opinions on this please?

Thank you.
Where are you based I can recommend a very good independent bmw mechanic, he is based in Dublin 12

Back