BMW spare key

Firefly

Hi all.

Am in the process of buying a 00 318i SE - the garage only has one key and is trying to source a 2nd. I am v reluctant to buy with only one key - can anyone tell me if they had to get a 2nd key is it a hard thing to do, who does it and how much...

Many thanks

Firefly

Firefly, I have just bought a 99 328CI and similiarly only have 1 key of which has seen better days. Got a quote for basic key (no programming) €100 plus vat and I can upgrade to new key (I think this is the latest version) with programming for €215 plus vat. Pretty pricey, however, I have lost keys before so a 2nd is a must have.

Thanks a mil. 100 quid isn't so bad..the mudder had a Punto and had to pay over 300 and the whole car seems to run (when it does run!) from this key!

Thanks again,

Firefly

Any chance you can demand that whoever is selling the car actually get you the key, or knock the cost of a key off the price?

Agree - I doubt the sellar is willing to lose a deal over €100.

Told garage that I need a 2nd key, so unless he can get one I will demand 121 off the price!

Thanks again!

Firefly (can't wait to get me hands on the car btw!)

Dead right Firefly
Second key or else I walk away.

I would be tempted to let the seller look after it.
Make sure that the new key works as well.

Dealer got me a key for the passat and the metal blade didn't match the original key at all. I wouldn't mind he got a vw dealer to do it.

Ring BMW and get a price for new key and programming. Could be up to 200 quid.

Back