BMW run flat tyres

gerward

Have a BMW 320D m sport with rft's. Got a puncture late last night (lady driver alone on dark road) & drove home 40 miles at 30mph. Took car in to local BMW dealer this morning (another 5 miles) and told wheel rim is cracked in 3 places so i need new tyre and new wheel costing 1,200 euro. i thought it was safe to drive on the flat tyre ...... according to the BMW sales literature you can "drive for long distances on a flat tyre with their run flats. Any advice - do i have any case for BMW to replace the wheel do you think?

Very possible - state of the roads around county Galway is very poor. Does this make a difference?

A run flat tire will provide protection from the "flat" tyre, but not from the other stuff that causes problems.

BMW dealer tells me tyre is 350 plus VAt and 18"" alloy wheel is 668 plus VAT .......

OP, try giving a NI-based dealer a ring - I guarantee you'll save some money. Or try the former BMW franchised dealers in Galway, they may have stuff on their hands (they're still selling 2nd hand Beemers).

Considering the huge cost of a genuine BMW wheel, would you not think about a replica BMW wheel. A single 18" replica wheel will cost about €150 and will look exactly the same. Obviously the quality wont be the same but there are some very good replicas out there from very reputable dealers.

Worth looking into.

You could buy a second hand one ring a few scrap yards, if the wheel is the standard sport alloy they should have a few of them, try traynors in the north or Fab Direct in england. Google them for there numbers don't have numbers handy.

You are right the book says you can drive for ?150 kms under 80 kmph on the run flats....but they are a pain (understatement!)

My hubby drives a BMW and we were going away for a romantic weekend and got a puncture...drove to nearest town and they said we'd have to wait until following day for replacement €530 for 2 tyres fitted.
Had to drive 50km home in slow motion...get my banger and drive back.

My hubby has ordered the tyres on the internet much cheaper and is paying a local garage €55 to fit the 2 tyres....I hope to goodness (understatement) that there is no problem with the alloys.

That car is such a PITA ...we tried to sell it and failed. The value has nose dived. Anything that happens to it costs an arm and a leg....grrrrrrrrrr

Jeez Top Gear tested a 520 with four RFT and raced it around the track without a problem..

Different for Irish Roads..

After paying for a 320 M Sport I would at least expect a spare, otherwise I would be giving it back !

gerward

I pm ed you back.
My hubby came across mention of this type of problem on various forums and some people seem to have gotten satisfaction from BMW.

Either way he doesn't think the tyre and wheel should cost that much.

Check the scrap yards for a wheel rim, alternatively check with some Northern Ireland Garages for the price

Back