bmw ipod preparation

LouisCribben

I have a bmw 3 series which i got second hand, its 18 months old

underneath the armrest, there is a jack (3.5mm jack i think) for plugging in an mp3 player or an ipod. There is also a 12 power supply under the armrest, similar to a cigarette lighter hole.

I know i can plug in an mp3 player into the jack and the music can come through the car stereo

What power supply options do i have with an ipod, is there a special ipod power adaptor i can buy ?

The problem seems to be when the armrest is down there is not enough space for the normal 12v cigarette adaptor to fit, it would need a small adaptor. I was thinking about maybe getting a 12v to usb adaptor, but it would need to be small.

To be honest, I have googled it, and I have failed to find an answer

Finally should i be able to control the ipod from the steering wheel ? The steering wheel is a multifunction one.

As far as I know you need a USB input and a special BMW lead to be able to control an iPod from the Multifunction steering wheel.

The mini jack is just an input source for any MP3 player which you have to control directly (which I think may be illegal while driving).

SSE

cheers

no, the car doesnt have a usb input, just 2 * 12v cigarette adaptors, one in the normal place, and the other under the armrest.

looks like i need to try to find a cigarette to ipod cable which will fit when the armrest is down, or else a cigarette to usb to power any device which accepts a usb power input.

something like this?

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

just make sure you buy the correct charger for your particular ipod, as in the chargers for the older ipod classics wont charge an ipod touch.

I have an 06 BMW and have also searched for something similar. With regard to controlling your ipod from the steering wheel, there are ipod carkits which attached onto the dashboard, they look similar to the cradle for you mobile phone carkit. Your ipod sits into it and it is wired into your radio. You can then use you steering wheel controls to operate your ipod - Halfords have these available and can also fit them. I believe that BMW have addressed the issue and have made full ipod integration available on the facelifted 3 series. Hope this helps

get an I/O device which will pick up all blue tooth devices present and direct them to the radio - I saw them at the top gear show and they looked excellent.
The brother works in vodafone and he reckons they are the thing to get

Why not pop into BMW garage where you bought your car ans ask their advice. They might even sell correct kit in their accessories department.

I have gone back to Murphy & Gunn a few times for various bits and they were always extremely helpful.

Back