BMW "Chugging" as I drive off

NC6000

My 318 has started to "chug" the odd time as I move off in first gear and seems to do this in traffic also. Not sure if chug is the right word but when I'm letting out the clutch and pressing the accelerator the car tries to go off on it's own a bit and can shake a lot also.

Does anybody have a idea what is causing this?

My 318 has started to "chug" the odd time as I move off in first gear and seems to do this in traffic also. Not sure if chug is the right word but when I'm letting out the clutch and pressing the accelerator the car tries to go off on it's own a bit and can shake a lot also.

Does anybody have a idea what is causing this?

I suggest you have a mechanic look at the car, possible causes are damaged clutch pressure plate, worn engine mounting, faulty fuel injection to name a few.

Thanks for the replies. I'll ring the garage tomorrow about it. Only problem is that it seems to be intermittent. Would this be the sort of problem that would arise due to the way the car is driven or a mechanical failure?

Thanks for the replies. I'll ring the garage tomorrow about it. Only problem is that it seems to be intermittent. Would this be the sort of problem that would arise due to the way the car is driven or a mechanical failure?

If its intermittent I would suspect a sensor problem rather than a mechanical problem, unfortunately intermittent sensor problems are very hard to diagnose. But a mechanic is your best bet.

Could be a huge number of things. Oil leaking onto the clutch all the way through to engine mounts (as mentioned), and maybe even a need for a good service.

They suffer alot from Air mass meter problems, the car would also have a rough idle

what model/year is it ??

this happend to me recently on my e36

try disconnecting the air sensor just after the black air filter box should just twist off. take it for a spin and see how it is - accellerateing hard should bring out the problem if its there. it this solves it then remove the large serated hose after the silver sensor box and check it for holes - just need a screwdriver to do this. if ther are none and the car is working fine without the sensor in place then its more than likely that its the sensor. if there are holes use some insulating tape to solve it.

possibly the hose that connects ur air intake to ur carbs is perished.Have a look at that its very easy to spot and easier to change.Failing that it may be an exhaust sensor

Back