BMW 5 series OR Subaru Impreza/Evo

Gulliver1

Hi all,

I currently own a 2002 BMW M Tech 520i.

I am fond of the Impreza WRX STI and the Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer.

I am considering changing to either the Impreza or Evolution and coming up about 4 years to enable me buy a 2006 or 2007 model.

More importantly, I am wondering if there is still a stigma attached to people who drive those types of cars??

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

More importantly, I am wondering if there is still a stigma attached to people who drive those types of cars??

Yes, I'm pretty certain there is.

I think in terms of image the Evo would have a much better rep. than the Impreza and if it's not dolled up to feck, it can look relatively sane.
I think it looks a lot better anyway as it happens.

The Impreza just screams 'dodgy' IMO - a pity, great car though.

Which is actually a better performance car? I know the interior of both of them is not great but I have test driven both (albeit 3 years ago) and they are both very powerful. I am 24 years old but am not by any means a 'boy-racer'. I am just interested in changing my car to either an EVO or an Impreza but am conscious that modified cars, in general, do not have a great reputation as a lot of ''undesirables'' own some.

I must check my stigmata

IME with both, the Impreza (1 Jap import, 3 brand new, 1 S/H) is more useable for everyday driving with the Evo (1 Jap import) being slighty more mental and having (by reputation, not IME) reliability problems and a tendency to blow diffs.

In the UK, a very decent 280bhp 2003 Impreza STi Type UK should be available for £5-£6k plus import charges.

If you buy, be prepared for big bills for fuel, tyres and brakes. In 10/11 years of driving Imprezas all that ever broke on any of mine was a cooling fan fuse.

Check www.honestjohn.co.uk for comparisons, specs and test drives etc.

My guess is that the Impreza is more powerful but that they are similar handling cars in many ways - both will eat tyres for the laugh by the way.

If you are that worried about image though, I'd stay away from both cars.

If you want a car with a 'rally' image they're all going to have somewhat of an undesirable association TBH.

Which is actually a better performance car?...
Define performance. Quick in a straight line, quicker in the traffic light grand prix, something that tours an autobahn all day at autobahn speeds and doesn't wear you out, safe in most road conditions, quicker around a track?
... but am conscious that modified cars, in general, do not have a great reputation as a lot of ''undesirables'' own some.
All the cars I have owned have been unmodified, apart from what was done in the factory. Why buy an expensive car and render it uninsurable by modifying it from the manufacturer's spec? I know there are modified cars on the roads, but they are not insured as I can guarantee you the insurers don't know about the modifications.

I know there are modified cars on the roads, but they are not insured as I can guarantee you the insurers don't know about the modifications.

Well my "modified" car if fully insured as all modifications are fully declared with insurance co. with no change to premium.

I am 24 years old

Firstly - best of luck geting insured on an Evo or Scooby STI @ 24

Which is actually a better performance car?

This depends on the model of each.
The Standard WRX STI is about equal to a standard Evo.
Then the Evo 8/9 has the FQ 300, FQ 340, FQ 360 which are more powerful. I know the Impreza has some higher performance models but I dont know too much about them.
For everyday driving the WRX STI prob would be the easier car to live with. The EVO has harder suspension, but for full on maddness driving the EVO is better IMO, due to a better 4WD system and AYC (Active Yaw Control) Just depends on what you want.