Bluetooth message at Heuston Station

Complainer

I was meeting a friend at Hueston during the week, when my phone bleeped and asked me did I want to accept a bluetooth message from Hueston Station. Thinking that it might have some useful information (and partly because I'm just damned nosey), I said yes.

The message shows in my Inbox as 'stpats, jar' and when I open the message, it asks me to 'Install St Patricks Hospital?'. At this stage I got a bit worried and chose 'No'.

I'd be interested to hear opinions as to whether this is a legitimate message, or is someone trying to hack into my phone via an application delivered by Bluetooth?

Re: Bluetooth message at Hueston Station

St. pats hospital is across the road from heuston.. Dunno if this helps but it must be comin from there..

St. pats hospital is across the road from heuston.. Dunno if this helps but it must be comin from there..
Yeah, that thought did strike me, but when the message arrived, the sender was showing as 'Hueston Station', hence my confusion.

Yeah, that thought did strike me, but when the message arrived, the sender was showing as 'Hueston Station', hence my confusion.

a bluetooth message is unlikly to reach heuston from st pats also the sender is normaly the name entered by the person who owns the device sending the message not the location from where it was sent it may have been accidently sent (possible but unlikley) it is also possible for a virus to infect smartphones so I personaly would delete it and definitly not open it

Thanks. I definitely won't be installing the application. I'm wondering if this is something that I should be notifying Irish Rail about?

Even if it is legitimate I wouldn't accept it - is there not enough forms of advertising we're forced to tolerate as it is.

Even if it is legitimate I wouldn't accept it - is there not enough forms of advertising we're forced to tolerate as it is.
I don't disagree with you, but it is not necessarily advertising. For example, in Disneyland Paris in the summer, I got a bluetooth message listing the wait times at the big attractions, so people are using Bluetooth for useful purposes.

I don't disagree with you, but it is not necessarily advertising. For example, in Disneyland Paris in the summer, I got a bluetooth message listing the wait times at the big attractions, so people are using Bluetooth for useful purposes.

I've found i'm getting them passing some shops. The last time i was in Liffey valley i got one from boots and Vue.. Dont open any of them anyway.

I got one from Dundrum Shopping Centre!

Wondered what it was, being the nosey cow that I am.

I got a couple in Heuston asking did I fancy a chat.

I just make sure the bluetooth is not discoverable now.

I got a bluetooth message listing the wait times at the big attractions, so people are using Bluetooth for useful purposes.

Sure, but most aren't unfortunately. As it stands now to my mind it is spam, as it is unsolicited electronic communication.

More significantly, it comes down to trust, I wouldn't trust the retailers unless they supplied me the source code in advance for me to review. Who knows what their code is doing...It should be viewed no differently than downloading programs off the interweb or getting a Spam mail for a software download, except you have antivirus, antispyware etc on your computher but not your phone.