Blue screen error - help!

poundhound

When trying to start windows XP on my PC, I get the dreaded blue screen.
The error reads "page fault in a non paged error". I shut down the PC abruptly and have got this message ever since.
I cannot get into windows and any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the master boot record could have been corrupted when the PC was shut down improperly.

You would need to insert your Windows installation CD, then boot from CD.

When powering up the PC, hit the F2 key to get into the BIOS, look for the Boot options and select your CD/DVD drive as the first boot option (your Hard Drive will most likely be the first option right now and using the F keys should be able to toggle and change the sort order priorities). When you restart, it should say something like 'press any key to boot from cd' and then it should lead you to the Windows installation disc options, which should have a 'repair' option. Hopefully that should fix it.

Thanks Dezure, that's a good suggestion but I tried that and during that process it asks me to enter an administrator password which I don't have.
Unless I had a password, I cannot proceed with the repair option.

Irishmoss, when I boot up in safe mode the system restarts after about 5 seconds and returns to the blue screen.

I'm almost resigned to formatting the HDD and reloading the operating system.

Could be a hardware issue, I would remove and reseat the RAM. I use this Linux boot CD to reset forgotten Windows passwords. If you have an XP install CD you should be able to boot on it and install XP over itself without loosing any data or settings, this should fix the problem if it is an OS problem.

There are some good suggestions there - try the blank password and the suggested software. On one occasion in the repair tool it couldn't detect the operating system to repair and asked for driver installation software for the hard drives.. it turned out I could just press 'next' and it carried on and ended up repairing things anyway.

As a last resort, if you feel the need to reformat.. there is still a chance to save some of your files from the hard drive. You will need to either unplug it from your computer and place it into another PC, or alternatively place it inside a hard drive caddy and then connect that to another pc via the usb cable - this will let you browse the folders on the disk and give you a chance to back them up before reformatting the operating system.

Thanks all but I think I've cracked it!
Ran the driver and diagnostic cd and it showed problematic RAM.
Simply reseating it made no difference but when I removed one stick, windows booted up, although as the RAM was halved the system was slower.
But at least I've pinpointed the source of the problem. I'll try replacing the faulty RAM.
Just as well I didn't format the HDD!
Thanks all for your input!