Blown elements

M

mulder

Over the last 3 & half years I've had to replace the bath & sink element in my tank twice. The last time that I had a plumber out to do this, he mentioned that there was a build up of lime on the elements which was causing them to blow...although I never thought about it at the time and so didn't mention anything to the plumber, what has me perplexed is that there's no build up on my kettle, the washing machine doesn't seem to be effected and from what I know my neighbours don't appear to be having the same problems - we're all within one block so surely we're getting water from same source.....

Could there be another reason for this? Might there be something at fault with the tank? The bath element has blown again so want to see if maybe something is being missed rather than just requesting another new element as this is setting me back approx €300 each time.

Firstly you are being taken for a ride on the price, an immersion costs 30 euro and should only take an hour to replace. Change your plumber. If I were you get an electrician to have a look. there will be no fault with the cylinder.

Must admit that had suspicion that the plumber saw me coming just didn't realise it was from such a distance! Had electricians in when element blew as my first port of call & they advised that I needed a plumber...

Will definetly dump current plumber & see if another advises a different course of action as still think replacing the elements within such a short timeframe is excessive, irrelavant of pricing. If it is lime, then should be effecting other items in the house...

thanks for advice - particularly on element price.