Blower Heater in Car Stopped Working

stefg

can edit posts
Hi All,

A friend of mine has a mid-90s VW Golf (Diesel) and the blower heater just stopped working the other day. I had a look at the fuses and it seemed fine. It was a 30A fuse and I replaced it with another 30A from the fuse board to test it but it was no good.

Is there anything other than fuses that might cause the heater to stop working? It seems only to be the blower heater that is not working i.e. the rear window demister, the lights etc are still working.

Any advice would be appreciated as it's definitely not the weather for driving around without a heater.

Thanks,
Stef

Has it stopped working altogether or does it still blow out cold air?

If this is the case then the thermostat might be busted but it should start to blow hot air after about 10 mins driving.

This happened in my 92 Golf

No there's no air blowing at all, usually you would hear the fan blowing but at the moment there's nothing at all when you switch it on.

The fan might have just seized up. Used to happen to me in a 94 Peugeot. All I could do was remove it and spray some oil onto the bearing. It would work for another few months and then would have to be oiled again.
If they could find out where the fan is and try and turn it by hand it might free it. Otherwise a replacement fan could be necessary.

Hi Stef,

I had a problem with the blower in my 98 golf. The problem was that there was water getting in through the pollen filter and getting into its housing and tracking down into where the fan for the blower is located (hope got all terminology correct).
For a while it would blow out wet air and then it would stop altogether. Got the housing and pollen filter replaced and all is well now.

Hope this helps

Pink Lady. :)

The blower heater is not electric, it is based on the hot water of the engine travelling through a second radiator under the dash where the air is blown through the hot rad and into the cabin.

The knobs that you torn, in the dash, are fragile and can break leaving the heater stuck (possibly in the cold position). They are an easy item to replace but it means taking out the panels and cables. Can you do it yourself?

(Golfs also had a blower problem where they would only work on one speed. This is a seperate issue)

The slogan "If only everything in life was as reliable as a VW" was a lie. They were no better than Ford or many other marques.

Back