Blood donation

In some countries you are obliged to donate blood if having an operation. I had to do this some years back and collapsed, ending up in A & E - some sort of blood pressure problem.

I haven't tried it since , not wanting to repeat the experience, but would if I were able to.

I carry a donor card, so feel that somehow makes up for it.

i do it, hate doing it, Doctors cannot take blood without bruising me, give me a nurse any day, but i reckon if i need it (God forbid) I hope it will be there for me due to the actions of others.

Would give quite happily, but they won't take it (I'm supposedly "high risk" for nasties like CJD.).

The are so crazy, people who receive transfusions in Ireland can never give blood again, but people who receive transfusions outside Ireland, only have to wait a year! What does that say about their confidence in the integrity of the Irish blood supply?

While we lived in Swaziland (1992-1995) we were at a church fete. A call went out over the tannoy saying that a guy had been shot and needed O+ blood. We went to the clinic as that is my blood group and were told that it would cost me 120 rand (about £30) for my blood to be tested for AIDS.
I declined the offer. (I believe the guy survived.)

I keep meaning to go again but simply haven't gotten around to it. A colleague back in the 90s was a regular and I eventually took a leaf out of his book. I was fairly regular for a few years but haven't been since about 2000/2001. As an O neg universal donor I really should make the extra effort. Thanks for reminding me.

Used to - not any more. Lived in the UK for too long, so am now barred.

How do they manage for donors over there, I wonder ?

Same as EuroDilbert - and I have a rare blood group - use to donate plasma only but now they can't take that either

I firmly believe everyone should donate blood at every available opportunity but oh dearie me, I can't because I have had Hepatitis. I do love preaching this message! !

I gave blood regularly in the UK but am barred from doing so here. What a waste.

Sarah

I don't believe that people should donate - only if they choose to and are comfortable with it.

then clubman why should my blood be given to guys who were not comfortable giving it? - i give it but hate needles and hate the whole process (i'm yer one with the legs crossed, toes curled and my head in the pillow so as not to see the blood coming out of me).
Everyone should give it because rarely can you decline the blood when on the operating table fighting for your life. I'ed like to think the dude who got mine was not a selfish twat who would not donate because it was too much bother for him. Its not exactly a thrill a minute giving it.

nelly said:
then clubman why should my blood be given to guys who were not comfortable giving it?
Because you donate blood without preconditions on how it's used. If you don't like that you can always stop. Imagine if I was able to go in and dictate that my blood was only to be used by fellow atheists, caucasians or Bohs supporters for example?
i give it but hate needles and hate the whole process (i'm yer one with the legs crossed, toes curled and my head in the pillow so as not to see the blood coming out of me).
It never bothered me but I suppose different people have different attitudes to the process, needles etc.
Everyone should give it
I totally disagree.

I give regularly and try encourge my friends to give. Very few do though......... ah well each to their own. I don't particularly like giving but in fairness the staff are great, so friendly and professional.