Blocks cost

Birroc

Hi,

I am paying €600 (incl VAT) for 1000 standard 100mm concrete blocks.

Is that good ?

I have received over 4000 blocks already. Should I be looking for discount on the next 4000 ? How do you bargain with these guys ?

i am paying the same,, but in fact i think its something like 1057 blocks in the bale

I was quoted 540 + Vat for 1000 blocks around Galway. Seems price doesn't vary much region to region

other quote i got in tipp was about 560 + vat,, got the previous price in clare,, and they called me,, got a tip off from the firm that supplied the concrete,,,, un real i tell ya

our 100mm solid blocks in Oct 07 cost 496.32 + VAT per 1,056 blocks from Whelans Quarries, that's 47 cents each excl. VAT or 53 cents incl. VAT at 13.5%.
L-blocks = 1 euro each excl VAT
140mm soap bars = 87 cents each excl VAT

my blocks cost me €450/1000 excludimg VAT for 4" from Floods in Oldcastle but I got that price last August. I'm lucky that I got all my concrete from them too so I was in a strong position to negotiate. To date I've spent almost 20k and all blockwork for house (2800 sq ft) and garage(800 sq ft) is nearly complete.

rahman,, would you consider posting up a more deatiled list of materials and prices on your build for us...

did u contemeplet one of the cladded garages versus the block type,, i cant decide,,,,,

rahman, that's a big garage, 73 sq mtrs or thereabouts. did you have any hassle from the council? i thought 50 sq. mtrs was max size allowed or has it changed ?

clonboy
I'll do a brakedown later in the week. Just need to update my spreadsheet with all the costs.

Lorna
you're right I've made the garage bigger than i should have but I cant see the council having a problem with that. Most people I know who have built over the last few years have made some alterations to the actual houses they built versus the planning granted. I'm not planning ever to sell my place so I dont think I'll have any problems

rahman, i was curious really as i am in the same boat as you having built a garage that is 75 sq meters instead of the permitted 50, also made it a bit higher to incorporate a loft ! again, i dont anticipate any problems either as wont be ever selling too.

In order not to drag this thread any further off-topic, could you stick to the 'Self Build - The Costs?' thread for anything other than responses to the original question?
Thanks,
Leo

Clonboy
Just getting back with number of blocks for my house 2700sqft and garage 800.sqft

Labour for entire job 18k

blocks as follows

4" solid 11500 @.45
4" soap 352 @.9
6" soap 440 @ .9
stock brick 1536 @ ??
12" cavity closer approx 200 @ ??
9" cavity for garage 1920 @ .9
3" 96

in summary blocks cost approx 8.5K and labour 18k
this will give a rough idea of costs

Back