Blocking an access route.

feebee

I wonder if anyone could help me.

My house is an unusual design in that part of it is over an "archway" through which cars can gain access to the houses behind. This is NOT the only access route however, there is also access via the road.

On a few occasions the house has been damaged (once quite badly) by vans ignoring the height restriction signs and driving under.
I have approached the management company about this, and as it is used as a through road, it is therefore a common area and they are responsible for maintenance and repairs. Fair enough, however it's getting beyond a joke now and nearly every week there is damage to the plasterwork where vans/trucks have driven under (which to be fair the mgt co have repaired no problem, but it really can't continue).

I have asked the mgt co if there is any possibility of placing bollards to reduce the width of the entrance, so that only cars can use it. I was met with an "oh it's all about money" reply (despite them acknowledging that this was a good suggestion).
Now they have asked me if i mind them putting a "cars only" sign at the entrance. Now this is fine in theory, but if people are going to ignore the height restriction sign, they're going to ignore a cars only sign too.

I have considered asking if i can restrict the width of the entrance myself, but i feel by doing this and offering to fund the work myself i am letting them off the hook (they have admitted they are having huge problems with similar houses in the estate, and i have seen other houses also damaged).
Also I have considered going to a solicitor to see what my rights are as regards blocking the entrance altogether (obviously i'd have to get legal advice on this). My question is, is there any point even going down this route, ie is the "land" under the arch mine? Am I allowed block an access route (albeit a secondary one)?
I can pm photos to illustrate the layout of the house.

Obviously it's my fault for buying the house, but i was niiave enough to think that people wouldnt be that lazy that they'd risk damaging someone's home rather than take the extra 2 minutes and use the other entrance :(

Thanks for reading.

Could you try and get the management company to install a height restriction barrier like a heavy duty goalpost in front of your archway and let the vans hit that instead?

I am assuming that your problems are with the management Agent and not the management company. Management company is made up of owners of the complex. The management Agent is employed to manage the day to day issue in the complex.

The management company typically meets 3-4 times a year. See if you can ensure that this gets a mention at their next meeting. Or your AGM - but given we're in july you may need to wait a while for that.

Ask them to compare a quote for the cost of two bollards - one either side, with that of the amount that is spend on repairs on an ongoing basis. Repairing it will be ongoing, with the added risk of permanent damage. Putting up two bollards is a once off cost and should reduce the maintenance in the long term.

Dem

On the possibility of blocking the entrance yourself legally- it is unlikely but it depends on how the legal documents for the estate were drafted and to get an absolute answer ask your solicitor who handled the purchase for you. They may still have copies of the documents on their file.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll approach them again re putting down bollards, and if the problems persist i'll go to a solicitor for advice.

Could you install one of those cheap lockable metal bollards that are used to protect parking spaces and shop fronts? You could distribute keys to anyone who needs access.

Back