Blocking access

P

PiedPiper

Help!

I have a lock up garage in a lane way off a busy street in a nice area of Dublin. It was rented by a local guy for many years to store his car.
This guy was abroad a lot and rarely used the lock up. Any time he went to get his car the access was blocked and he eventually gave up and stopped renting it.

The access is blocked by the workers and vans of the shop next door. The layout is such that a worker in the shop parks alongside my garage partially blocking access while not directly in front of it. Directly in front of it can be clear with access still blocked.

I have started to take photos every day, its rare to go there that access is not blocked and even if its not blocked directly in front of it you would have to still move cars to drive in.

What should I do in terms of contacting the Guards and Council.

The manager of the shop always says yes no problem oh yeah we will move it now but thats no good to me I need them to stop blocking my access, there is no need for it all bad habits and meanness.

Are you certain vehicle access is permitted to your lockup? If so you could ask the council to paint a few double-yellow lines.

I couldn't imagine the garda policing a rarely used lockup to make sure someone doesn't park to the side of it! I could just imagine working in the shop and thinking "what a perfect parking spot!"

Could you install some sort of lockable pole or barrier that would prevent people parking there and give the keys to the person renting the garage ?
Maybe even control it via an electronic locking system with a fob for the renter.

Oh

The parking alongside would be fine, I have those metal bars that go into the ground but they just park in front of them.

I could contact the council and ask them.

I suppose thats my next step, the tenant is gone so anytime I go to try to show it the access is blocked and I am sure I have access.

You do not have any authority to clamp.

Ask Local Authority to put double yellow lines.

You could seek an injunction against the persons offending, buthisis high cost, high risk.

You do not have any authority to clamp.

The clampers I was suggesting are the Local Authority ones - they can clamp any vehicle that is illegally parked on any public road or laneway. Any vehicle that is obstructing access is illegally parked and can be clamped and/or lifted by parking enforement.

Back