blocked shower drain

I had this problem too, my house is only 2 years old. I have a friend who is plumber and I mentioned it to him. He called around and put a compressor on it to blast away all the crap inside the waste pipes. This was three months ago and I have not had a problem since. Try a friendly plumber, it's only takes five minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had same problem in past which seemed to be down to long hair, however cleared the hair by squirting a half a tube of Immac or hair removal cream down plug hole and leaving overnight, which solved the problem, which I now doing every few months. Got this tip from a magazine.

Try plunging or feeding a length of wire with a small hook on the end down the drain.
Leo

Thanks all for the tips, especially like the Immac cream solution.

Leo, by wire do you think an opened clothes hanger would be suitable, any danger of dislodging the connection at the U bend and creating a more serious problem.

If you can get that around the bend without exerting too much force then you shouldn't have a problem. The joints should be bonded and well able to withstand this.
Leo

We used to have huge problems with hair getting stuck and blocking the drain. We got a hair trap (as mentioned by poster above) on ebay and have had no problems since [broken link removed]

D

Mr Muscle, works wonders, being a wee bit hairy myself, means I have to do this once every 6 months, just pour it down, open a window and leave for a few hours, no need for coat hangers or anything

Success with the plunger, was able to bring a ball of hair to a point where I could grab with my fingers. Will be cleaning on a more regular basis from now on. Thanks to all.

The hairtrap mentioned by two previous posters is the most straightforward solution. I used to be nearly vomiting when cleaning out the trap. Spotted the hairtrap in Atlantic Homecare for a few euros, and it's brilliant. I removed the old cover and sat the new one in.....job done, no nasty chemicals, no nasty gunk every few months.

We used to have huge problems with hair getting stuck and blocking the drain. We got a hair trap (as mentioned by poster above) on ebay and have had no problems since [broken link removed]

D

After solving the blockage and determined that it wouldn't happen again, I went and purchased the self adhesive hair traps from ebay. Word of warning, while I think they are successful at trapping the hairs, they also slow the flow of water down the trap, resulting in the shower filling up and having to stand in a pool of water, the very factor that indicated that I had a blockage in the first place.