blocked shower drain

positivenote

hi all, read previous post re: blocked sink drains etc... my problem is the shower drains very slowly and we are left showering in an inch or so of water.... any sugestions? shower was only put in a few months back.
Thanks

If this is a new shower installation, as your post suggests it could be a combination of hair, tiling grout and cement that accumulated in the waste trap.

If this is a new shower installation, as your post suggests it could be a combination of hair, tiling grout and cement that accumulated in the waste trap.

and what would be a solution to this? We have a plunger beside the shower (very attractive) for use every 3/4 showers! I have long hair so may be contributing to the problem but usually pull hair out of waste after shower. tried some of those chemical type solutions but worked for 1/2 showers and back to (un) usual. plunger proved the cheaper more environmentally friendly solution but have you any solutions to permanently unblock what I'm sure is a build up of builder crap?

I had the same problem, you must lift the drain plug up to take it out underneath that there is a stopper to prevent the outlet pipe from blocking you have to turn this and pull it out then get a screwdriver to clear the blockage.

You should get one of the plastic guards you fit into the plug hole. They allow the water to go down but they catch the hair. You can then remove the hair after every shower and hopefully save yourself the hassle of unclogging your drain.

i had the same problem (well until yesterday) Got cilit bang poured a good bit down the drain as much as I could untill it filled to top, then waited added more. I kept repeating this until half the bottle was gone in. Poured some hot water down next and left it. Next morning, had a shower and water flowed FREELY AWAY.

I was amazed, for past few weeks, me and himself have been up to our ankles in water!!

So refreshing to have a clean shower. I also got some cif spray bathroom multi prupose thing for shower doors too, like for the lime and all. Worked a treat can actually see through them now.

Our house is only 9months old. I think our shower prob was down to my long hairs, lifted the plug thing and got loads.

Hope ive been of some help.
Blueshoes

I'll second that. I use Mr Muscle Drain Blocker. Does the trick. Probably have to use it once every three months to keep things free but it does a great job.

Pour it on the drain at night before you go to bed wash it clean with warm water in the morning.

You can get it in most supermarkets.

Hi there, I live in an apartment and have an over bath shower. Drain is really slow. Have tried drain unblocker, plunger and caustic soda. None of them unblocks it properly. Its a bit better for a couple of weeks and then its back to showering in a puddle!! Any ideas?

I'll second that. I use Mr Muscle Drain Blocker. Does the trick. Probably have to use it once every three months to keep things free but it does a great job.

Pour it on the drain at night before you go to bed wash it clean with warm water in the morning.

You can get it in most supermarkets.
Its a lot cheaper and easier to lift the pulg and clear it with a screwdriver also it stays clear for at least a year.

Hi Johnny1. Can you lift the plug when the tray in on a concrete floor?

Not sure if its relevant but every few years we find it best to lift the shore cover and just throw it away. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Between leaves, dirt and hair it gets clogged and is quite easily replaced.

Not sure if its relevant but every few years we find it best to lift the shore cover and just throw it away. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Between leaves, dirt and hair it gets clogged and is quite easily replaced.

I dont think it makes any sense to throw away a shore cover - 2 minutes would clean away the leaves, hair etc.

I dont think it makes any sense to throw away a shore cover - 2 minutes would clean away the leaves, hair etc.

We used to try and clean them but it took a lot longer than that and it was a very messy and disgusting job. The last time we bought a few they were no more than a couple euro each and last quite a while between replacements.

Yes just lift the outlet cover and then twist the plug and lift it out.

Experiencing a blocked shower, can someone confirm that when I take off the outer cover (that which normally stops items going down the drain) that there is something else that can be removed and cleaned.
I had already taken off the cover and there only appeared to be a hole/pipe??

...can someone confirm that when I take off the outer cover (that which normally stops items going down the drain) that there is something else that can be removed and cleaned.

Not necessarily, and in your case, it sounds like there isn't. There should be a U-bend which is where the root of your problem may lie. Try plunging or feeding a length of wire with a small hook on the end down the drain.
Leo

Back