Block view from neighbouring building's window

Brouhahaha

Hi,

This is a somewhat hypothetical question as it doesn't affect me but if a new building was built right to the boundry of the neighbouring property with ground floor windows (included in planning but not spotted by neighbour) looking into the property does that oblige the neighbouring property to provide a view from the windows?

Taking the theory to the extreme would a wall or fence across the windows be illegal? I think I understand the right to light but I believe that only comes after time (may be v. mistaken there).

Thanks

AFAIK, you can do whatever you like on your side UP TO but not including the boundary. Altering a boundary itself (i.e. replacing a hedge with a wall can only be done with the consent of both parties.

The neigbours you describe have been a bit cheeky in assuming that the other wouldn't ever want to do the same as they have and my opinion would be that what they have done constitutes an invasion of your privacy. I assume they didn't go the full hog and actually USE the boundary to build the wall. This would be a complete invasion.

My solution would be to place a trellis or fence right up against your side of the boundary which would block their view into your garden. If they can do it you with glass, what's the difference?

This has happened on occasions with some Planning Departments mistakenly overlooking this.

Even if someone has Planning for a window, they have no legal entitlement to a right to light - unless they buy one off the subservient tenement. (i.e the property they are looking into).
Walls and fences are therefore completely legal.

If the window is left unchallenged for 20 years, then a right to light is gained.
(a longer time than is required for squatting - which is only 12 years)

Superman said:
the subservient tenement. (i.e the property they are looking into).

This is a great term. It intend using it to descibe the neighbours' houses.

Thanks Superman:)

Back