Block on top of stone

Buddy1977

I have a single storey stone wall house 500mm wide... Would it be possible to extend up to two storey with block (cavity wall)on top of the stone wall

I intend consulting with an engineer ....just curious for now!

I raised a the roof on a two storey farmhouse by shuttering all round and filling with concrete. The stone wouldn't have been stable enough to put block on it. I added an extra 2 feet on.

It would be rare enough for a single storey stone wall and its foundations to be specified and built to the stadards required to support a two storey structure. A stone wall like that may not even have foundations, so you could potentially require underpinning to build on top of this.

The stone wall actually has a stone foundation which is approx 650mm below ground level and is slightly wider than the stone wall

You'll definitely need an engineer to assess it. I'm no expert, but my gut tells me what you want to do will not be possible without somehow reinforcing the existing wall & foundations. A good engineer will tell you if it even makes sense to go with a cavity wall on top of stone.

Back