Blarney, Cork

sburs

Hello All. Any views on Blarney? Have bought in Castlerock in Midleton and am very happy with what i've done but am already looking down the line. I've heard that the train is also coming back to Blarney in a few years and would hope that the value of a home in a good development in the town may appreciate well as infrastructure is improved..

Re: Buying in Blarney, Cork

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Blarney is stuck in a time warp and has no facilities. The owners of Blarney Castle own most of the undeveloped land aroudn the village and would never sell it so the town can never expand. They also lodge planning objections against anyone who does try to build in the are on the grounds that it blocks views of the castle.

It's a very backward little town in my opinion.

I lived in Blarney for a number of years and really liked it. Part of the attraction is the place is not overdeveloped like most towns and villages in Ireland. There is planning for new houses near the proposed train station which you would expect will appreciate, all things being equal. With regard to facilities, there are a number of nice restaurants and pubs, good local sports clubs, leisure club in hotel, golf clubs within a few miles, village green ( not too many places left with this) and good community spirit.
It is located close to Cork city, 10 mins.

I would not see it as being in too much as a time warp. Its coming on but much more slowly than say other little villages in the area that have had huge developments in them. The village/ small town feeling is still there. If you work in say Wilton / Bishopstown/ Northside your talking minutes once you don't travel at silly times of the day

Speaking of trains in Cork...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com//showpost.php?p=282142&postcount=4491

Let's hope you didn't jumping on one of these...

Blarney is a strange town that I can't make up my mind about... It is not your typical irish town and one that people either love or hate. I just can't see the attraction of the place either to live in or indeed what the tourists go there for. Most of the shops stock the sterotypical tourist tat at an enormous price.. Very small amount of restaurents.
Anyway, rant over...