Blanket for terminally ill person

noel123ie

Hi there
My mum is sick and spends alot of time in bed. We have had alot of windy weather and live in the country and am worried incase we get an extended powercut as have had alot of windy weather lately.

I am looking for a blanket that can keep my mum warm until the power is restored. Something like those tin foil blanket that emergency servics use or a battery powered blanket.

I understand this is an unusual request but my mother can not get cold for any period of time as she is very light and prone to infection.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated in locating this.
Thanks
Noel

This may help, could easily be hooked up to 12V battery.

[broken link removed]

Hope the link works, if not just search "eletric blanket" on ebay.

To be honest I would not get an electric blanket, the person may not easily be able to regulate the temperature and get burns.
I would speak to a pharmacist or contact Fannins as the foil blanket is used extensively in treating the elderly with hypothermia.

Talk to your public health nurse who you should be able to contact through your local health centre.

Something like those tin foil blanket that emergency servics use or a battery powered blanket.
As Obi Wan might say: those aren't the blankets you're looking for. The foil blankets are fit-in-your-pocket type designed to protect against the elements but I suspect you'd be better to get a quality heavy blanket from maybe Arnotts or CLerys.

what about good old waterbottles with the furry cover on them so they dont burn you, maybe have a look at clothing that skiiers wear, or google special care blankets. make sure she has a few pairs of good woolly socks, a warm hat, warm gloves, thermal underwear etc, or wear longjohns or leggings. a good warm dressing gown she could wear in bed and those flannette sheets are warm too. a good heavy 15 tog feather duvet is lovely and warm too. how about buying one of those gas cylinder mobile heaters and always have a spare cylinder to hand.

Very sorry to hear about your Mum, can I suggest that perhaps in additions to some of the suggestions already mentioned, you might want to consider some of the following options: (1)Heat packs ( filled with wheat) , not a hot water bottle. They can be got in chemists , hold their heat better than hot water bottles and are more versatile because they mold better to the contours of the skin and are heated in the microwave to whatever temperature you need. (2) An electric overblanket which can be left on all the time at a very low heat setting, thereby keeping the person nice and warm at all times. (3) A sheep skin ( preferably a full length one) which will keep your Mum warm from below (4) Last but not least, you might like to consider investing in either hiring or buying a portable generator like you can get in B&Q and have it somewhere unobtrusive where it couldn't be heard running and run an extension cable from it to your Mum's room if the need arrises.
Best of luck

Back