Bland Music on the Radio

When I lived in Australia there was a great 2 hour show on each week on the national station (triple j) called 'Home and Hosed' playing new Australian music.

I have always thought that a license funded station such as 2fm should have a show like this. Not to play U2 or Lizzy, but to play new unsigned quality artists, such as Lotus Lullaby, Fred, The Strokes etc.

There is such a wealth of talent in Ireland at the moment. You never hear it on the radio. You only come across it on Myspace, or when you go out to live venues to see some acts you have never heard of. I never cease to be amazed at the musical talent here. And amazed in the other way at the amount of sh*te played on the radio.

There seems to be a bit of the comeback for the vinyl stuff. I bought a retro turntable adn am having great fun listening to the old LPs from the eighties, etc. People I chat to also say they have done similar and soem reckon the sound is "different", closer to the soul, so to speak. I agree.

also, I read somewhere that music we heara s children/teenagers tends to evoke emotion more that music we hear as adults. Merories adn all that. Maybe that's your problem, Newby?

also, I read somewhere that music we heara s children/teenagers tends to evoke emotion more that music we hear as adults. Merories adn all that. Maybe that's your problem, Newby?

One of many... . Can't believe I'm turning into Statler and Waldorf!

I think my original feelings on it was that there is a lack of original singer songwriters as evidenced by the lack of good stuff on the radio. This thread has informed me that its just a lack of willingness to play non-top 10 music at peak hours (the times i listen). I am now looking in the correct places (online , podcasts and on alternative stations) for the type of music I like but unfortunately I would like it to be available when I sit in the car for a 2 hour drive.

Maybe its the system and not me???

Getting back to original post, lots of oldie stuff on Dublin's Country......Mix.

Worth listening to for the way the presenters have obviously been told to put a big gap between the words "Country" and "Mix". Following a very expensive rebranding exercise, someone obviously copped that the station name was coming out as "Dublin's C**t Remix". One or two can make it sound normal, but most almost go for a fag break between the two words.

Last edited:
If you've broadband internet try here great stuff on here

Getting back to original post, lots of oldie stuff on Dublin's Country......Mix.

OP wasn't about oldie music... more about lack of good music on radio nowadays! Must listen out for the remix though!!

Why... oh why isn't Tom Dunne always on in the morning. He is so much better than Dempsey. Nice alternative choices in music and not at all as annoying. Good start to the week!

It never went away.

Despite numerous articles in the media regarding vinyl's continuing success in holding a reasonable market share of new music sales, many people still hold the perception that the format has been dead since the early 1990s.

Last year I purchased 40 new albums (i.e. albums of new material released in 2006).

28 of these were on vinyl while in the case of six of the others a vinyl version was available but I chose to purchase the CD version.

So much for being a dead / obselete format!