Bland Music on the Radio

Newby

Maybe I'm getting older (and turning into my ould fella) but it seems to me that there is no decent music on the radio anymore. I can't remember the last time I said "Jeez, that sounds great. I must run off and get their album".

I don't want this to turn out to be a "have you heard X's album, its great" thread but I'm more interested in knowing if anyone else thinks that the standard of music has slipped? Have all the possibilities of notes on the piano's and guitars of the world been heard already??

What about [broken link removed] on Today FM, Sunday evenings? Or if you're in Dublin [broken link removed]? I presume that there's a wealth of choice in terms of internet radio broadcasts/streams/podcasts if you are interested in that too?

I used to love Phantom FM back in the day alright. It went off air for a while and haven't tuned in since it got the licence. Will check that and Last Splash out. Thanks Clubman.

I don't really have the time to tune into shows religiously... or maybe I'm just getting to be an old crank.

There's always podcasts where available - e.g. [broken link removed]. You can listen to them on your PC or on a digital audio player if you have one, as and when you choose.

Phantom isn't as good as it used to be unfortunately but still probably the best station for music.

But do you guys reckon that there just isn't the investment in music that there was that might be causing the lack of undisocvered talent? When was the last time there was a first album that oozed class?

I just want to hear some good guitar, drums, keyboard and bass. I don't want to hear remixes of songs that were (and still are) good in the 80's. Billie Jean was a good song before it got mixed with Kelis's Milkshake.

Where are all the original good bands / songwriters gone?

Where are all the original good bands / songwriters gone?

Guys; myopia and rose tinted glasses seem to be the order of the day on this thread.

You need to remember that you are selecting the "best" music over the last 20 / 30 years and comparing it to the current music today - not every band in the '70's or the '80's was brilliant - in fact a lot of them were appalling. In 10 years time people will look back at the music of this decade and say why aren't the bands as good now as they were then - where are the fiddy cents, the Beyonces, the Snow Patrols, etc etc - these are good performers making good music.

If you can't find "decent" music then you're not looking hard enough! There are thousands of radio stations from all over the world available on the internet - or try something like Pandora where you select music / bands you like and it creates a playlist for you with known and unknown bands in your preferred genre - just don't become another Grumpy Old Man

But do you guys reckon that there just isn't the investment in music that there was that might be causing the lack of undisocvered talent? When was the last time there was a first album that oozed class?
It's all very subjective but... Artic Monkeys, Grandaddy (I'm discovering them late) and LCD Soundsystem were three that did it for me recently.

I put it down to the radio playlists. Take Today FM for example, unfortunately we have to listen to it in work, they repeat the same songs over and over again. If it's in the charts it gets played about 3/4 times a day. You get at least one Thin Lizzy song a day. Then the rest is filled with stuff that was in the charts 2/3 months ago.

Sometimes when they go from one show to the next the song that was played 10mins ago is replayed.

To get to my point - the same music is repeated so you end up thinking there is no decent music out there. This couldn't be further from the truth. Take a listen to Jo Whiley on BBC Radio1 at least a couple of days a week and you'll hear some excellent new music, not to mention the live lounge.

KT Tumstall and Snow Patrol spring to mind...
Loved Snow Patrol's first album - I guess one of my gripes is that because they show a bit of talent they are played to death on the radios. If I hear chasing cars again....

It's all very subjective but... Artic Monkeys, Grandaddy (I'm discovering them late) and LCD Soundsystem were three that did it for me recently.
Do like "I bet you look good.." from the Arctic's.. will have a listen to their album and the other suggestions...

Thanks all.

Loved Snow Patrol's first album - I guess one of my gripes is that because they show a bit of talent they are played to death on the radios. If I hear chasing cars again....
Jasus, they are not that bad. I prefer Ms Tunstall anyway. "Eye to the Telescope" was the best album I bought last year.

Jasus, they are not that bad. I prefer Ms Tunstall anyway. "Eye to the Telescope" was the best album I bought last year.
Not at all - I quite liked Chasing Cars before Ian Dempsey got hold of it.

I honestly can't understand the hype about this band...
The first album was their highlight so far IMHO. They were rubbish when backing up U2 in Croker though i think that was more to do with the sound engineering or something - just couldn't hear them!

Take a listen to Jo Whiley on BBC Radio1 at least a couple of days a week and you'll hear some excellent new music, not to mention the live lounge
Get your hands on the latest live lounge album. Stuck in my car cd player for weeks now, def my fav album of the last 3-4 years.

The bigger stations have their primetime playlists practically handed to them by the record companys so very little can be done about the songs (on todayfm/2fm) when youre in your car going to and coming from work. Will be interesting to see how the adlib style of the ex-strawberry alarmclock crew will do in the more rigid production environment on 2FM.

They were rubbish when backing up U2 in Croker though i think that was more to do with the sound engineering or something - just couldn't hear them!
Sounds like a bit of a ripoff (sound of flood-gates opening).

If they had been the main act I would be upset...

BTW can someone point me in the direction of the thread where the word rip-off has been overused... it seems to be AAM's equivalent to the word "MacBeth".

The business model has changed. You would be more likely to find new music on the internet than on the radio now. Go to myspace or bebo or something like that, I don't really understand the technology myself but that's apparaently where it's at.

I think there has been a paucity of music since the early 90's. Things have been in decline since Suede appeared on the front cover of NME and Melody Maker. I think there is a small number of major record labels and no longer a large number of small independent labels. Bands like Coldplay who might be perceived as "indy" are signed to majors.

The economy might have something to do with it - why bother spending three years traipsing around the country in the back of a van playing gigs when you can get a cushy number in the IFRS instead?