Blackberry stupidology

zag

Will someone who has a Blackberry out there please put my mind at rest . . .

In my organisation the perceived 'wisdom' is that the Blackberry doesn't actually show you the contents of your mailbox - it just receives your mail. A subtle yet important distinction.

The difference between the two concepts above is that a lot of stuff can be 'excused' when the claim is that it just receives your mail.

Assume you have the device off for a few hours when on a plane. All the mail that arrives when you switch it back on comes with the time stamp that the Blackberry received it - so you could have 50 or more mails all with the same time stamp. *Any* other mail access system I have ever come across will show the original timestamp of the mail - this is what counts to most people.

Now, I can live with this limitation of the product if it is supposed to be this way because the BB software engineers were dumb or the testers missed that one but I just can't see this happening. I have a feeling it is the way it is configured within my organisation that makes it happen this way, but I do't know anyone else who has a BB to check with . . . hence this post.

z

If you blackberry is off for a few hours (whats an off button) it will all be timestamped as the time your turned it back on....

The emails will be date stamped as time of arrival on blackberry ie when you turn it back on - from experience.
R

Grand, so it does seem to be the way the thing is supposed to operate, so I can stop bugging the IT people here. Thanks for the replies. It is always usefull to get external verification.

Does it not strike you as strange that it does the timestamping this way ?

z

Yes, it does seem more rational had they used the recieve time stamp at their server end, as its a 'push' technology - maybe that affects it somehow?. I suppose one can argue either way, as its the time recieved on the Blackberry that might be more important to some people!
Nit picking aside, its still a great service for people on the move.
R

If you open the message, and scroll *upwards*, there is a field there somewhere that tells you when the mail was sent (not received). That might help...

Back