Black tie wedding - what type of dress do girls wear?!

byrnsey09

Hi all.. Have a black tie wedding coming up shortly.. what do women wear to black tie weddings these days?! Do people stick to the traditional black dress? Is it usually a floor length dress worn?

Re: Black tie wedding

Hi, I was at a black tie wedding last year and had the same dilemma! Basically women wear what they wear to any wedding, a knee length cocktail dress and guys wear tuxes.

Re: Black tie wedding

Last time I was at a black tie wedding, women were wearing every type, colour and length of evening or cocktail dress you can imagine.

Women wear fancy dresses going to weddings. Saying its a black tie wedding is just to prevent men wearing jeans or overly casual outfits imo. So women would wear whatever theyd wear to any wedding - a nice frock.

Last black tie wedding I was at my OH rebelled and refused to wear a tux because he didnt want to look like a waiter (and like every other guy at the wedding). Instead he wore a beautiful black suit, red fitted shirt and black tie (claiming he was in black tie...lol). Not only did he stand out from the herd for individuality, his outfit was a lot nicer than some of the badly fitting rented tuxedos. The bride and groom both said that the invites said black tie just to be sure the men kept it formal and as my OH was formally dressed, they were more than happy.

The women all wore what theyd wear to any wedding.

I wonder does black tie apply to the afters? I would assume not?

I was invited to Black-Tie weddings in the past. I never went as the couple expected Butterfly Wing collars and Bow Tie.
I don't need a free meal that badly.

Surely you pay over the odds for the meal once you give a (usually) monetary gift?

Normally yes, but it this case the couple getting married were friends of my wife who I vaguely knew. So the OH would be making the cash donation. If they were my friends I would be making the cash donation.

Ah I see. TBH I think black tie request is a bit OTT, similar to "No laura Ashley" dresses on invites.

Back