Black Tie Event

Reminds me of another Mae West quote:

Mae: For many years I was ashamed of the way I lived.

Interviewer:
Did you reform?

Mae: No - I'm just not ashamed anymore.

have also been to quite a few black tie weddings and
a) never had a free bar, at any point
b) many of the male guests wore a black suit with a black tie - much nicer than the tux & dicky bow look and perfectly in keeping with the invitation.

A black tie invitation to me would mean I wouldn't be attending. Not because of expense, simply because it crosses the line where GUESTS on your special day, become PROPS or EXTRAs in your little self obsessed production number.

-Rd

Well this is my brother....so I reckon Ill be attending...the irony is my brother doesnt have a matching pair socks to his name as far as I know, so I think this is his fiance's idea. At the end of the day I too think its excessive, especially for our older uncles who usually would wear their "good suit", now they have to go out and hire.

Its their day and I suppose each to their own.

casiopea said:
and I suppose each to their own.

But by specifiying 'black tie' they are in fact denying the guests the right to "each to their own"?

Anyway, enjoy the day.

CCOVICH said:
But by specifiying 'black tie' they are in fact denying the guests the right to "each to their own"?

Well by each to their own, I was refering to the bride and groom. Its their special day, a one off (hopefully ;o) ) for the rest of us its just another wedding. You cant please everyone all the time anyway, so they might as well just please themselves. For the record, I think its pretentious and my brother is getting a fair amount teasing from my other 3 brothers!

CCOVICH said:
Anyway, enjoy the day.
thanks!