Black screen on my digital camera

J

jonnyha

I have a Canon Powershot A300 and all was well until yesterday when I turned it on to take a few photies. The picture viewer is completely black, the settings show okay on the screen e.g. how many photies left etc. but no picture at all. The 'front door' is open and everything else is normal. I tried to take a picture, it takes it but the result is a black screen. I am familiar with the camera and didn't do anything I shouldn't have...

Can anyone help?

Thanks, just tried doing what you suggested but still no good I'm afraid. I can view all the photos on the memory card but the screen is black when I want to take a photo and it just takes a black photo then....

Anyone know any good camera shops that might be able to help? Somewhere in Dublin 2 would be handy for me during the week.

Are the images on the memory card? I'm not familar with the camera, but it may be that you have just switched off the LCD display. Try scrolling through the display button and it might switch on.

"Display Button: Directly to the right of the optical viewfinder eyepiece, this button controls the LCD monitor display, cycling through the image display, image and information display, and no display modes"

Thanks but it's not the display button. When I press the display button it just takes the display off the screen - number of photos left, info on flash setting etc. When I take a photo, the result is just a black photo. The screen is black when I'm taking it (both with "display" on and off) and the resultant photo is black too...

I have a canon also. You can turn off the picture dispaly to save battery and take pics through the eye piece ( old skool! ) maybe you have done this accidetly.
The text display still remians when the pic display is turned off.

Indeed. I must point out that both the display is black and the resultant photo is black too when I look at the photos on the memory card after I take it. It's really as if something is covering the lens but believe me there isn't!