Bitez,Turkey

A

Andrew

Hi:

Thinking of taking the aul doll - has anyone been there, what's it like in August,cheapest place for booze and grub.

Many thanks.

I stayed in Bitez last year, which is just outside of Bodrum in August with Mr Mo.
The weather was extremely hot, some days it was 42C and 39C in the shade.
Make sure you book accommodation with A/C!
Bitez is lovely and nicely situated outside of the hurdy gurdy of Bodrum which I personally found to be quite overbearing. Food wise there are actually some brilliant restaurants in Bitez and there is no need to travel outside of the resort unless you are looking for some extreme nightlife.
Accommodation is basic - it seems to be basic everywhere apparently but extremely clean. What more do you need - only a place to lay your head and clean up?
Do bring good sunblock, it's right on the coast so there is a bit of a breeze and you don't notice how hot is actually is.
Do take at least one boat trip. The coastline is amazing, the waters extremely clear and it's a great way to see the countryside.
Be wary of organised trips with travel agents - they invariably lead to a visit to a leather factory with de rigeur fashion show. Or a trip to a turkish delight shop.
There are masses of rip off goods over there and don't be taken in. We didn't buy very much as most of what you see over there now can be got in local markets in Ireland. I personally found many market stalls and men disrespectful towards women in general and a bit much. There are masses of street sellers but just walk past and don't engage in conversation.
Turkey is a predominantly muslim country but is quite lax around this area however your other half will need to bring at least 1 set of modest clothing - light trousers & short sleeved (to elbow) t-shirt that is not revealing if you intend to visit any national monuments.
Check with your travel agent that the hotel you will be staying in is not beside the mosque at Bitez, it is a big culture shock to be woken up for morning prayer on your first day and can be intrusive if you don't like that sort of thing.
Do take the time to learn how to say "hello" and "thank you" in Turkish or indeed Muslim. Most people over there have a little english but it is definitely appreciated.
Enjoy yourselves, we'd go back in a heartbeat. It was a great, relaxing holiday and we had reservations about going - certainly a must-visit location.

You wouldn't believe the telling off I got for using the Username Nobjocki on this site ( one of 12 I'm registered on with that name ) but anyway thanks you for your useful reply.
I fear it is going to be unsufferably hot - especially in my spangly thong.

Why not stick to the other 11 sites so if you don't like the moderation policy here?

A fair response and one which I don't have an immediate answer to.
But I'm from Kerry and I hope you'll cut me a bit of slack.

Andrew

We really don't need your persistent time wasting on Askaboutmoney. I am sure that the other 11 sites appreciate your style more. But it's not in keeping with Askaboutmoney.

Brendan

Back