Bishop curbs weddings abroad after complaints

Featured on The Last Word yesterday and the news last night as well.

From what I could gather, women not covering their shoulders while in church was part of the issue-not uncommon for this to be frowned upon in Croatian churches AKAIK.

Blocking all weddings abroad because of a complaint of a Croatian bishop seems to be akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I wonder does this have more to do with Irish churches losing revenue rather than dress code in a foreign country?
I don't think some Bishops realise in this country yet, that they have lost there 'Flock' and there power and influence has dissappeared rather than waned. Blocking weddings abroad will do nothing for them in regaining the hearts and minds of Catholics in this country..

Blocking all weddings abroad because of a complaint of a Croatian bishop seems to be akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I wonder does this have more to do with Irish churches losing revenue rather than dress code in a foreign country?
I don't think some Bishops realise in this country yet, that they have lost there 'Flock' and there power and influence has dissappeared rather than waned. Blocking weddings abroad will do nothing for them in regaining the hearts and minds of Catholics in this country..

Please express such opinions in Letting Off Steam.

The point is-if you are planning to get married in Croatia-plan ahead to ensure you don't get caught out.

i saw an invite for a Rome wedding which included a list of do's and don't for attending church weddings there (irish college) it listed abstaining from chewing gum in church among a long list of stuff like covering shoulders. It struck me as insulting to those who do know how to be respectful in church but obviously someone somewhere thought some guests and couples needed reminding.
when in Rome and all....

I don't think its OTT to expect reverence in church but a cutting numbers allowed to go there seems a bit extreme

Back