Birthday suprise plan

Newbie!

Hi,

Mr newbie has a milestone birthday coming up soon. We're away in hotels quite a bit of late due to alot of weddings so he's not pushed on going away for his bday. Travelling abroad is also not an option as we will be going away shortly after his birthday. I still want to mark his day and do something very different. I had planned on us taking his bday day off and heading into Dublin city for a gander at some museums etc(this he does love), then going to the Lord Mayors lounge in the shelbourne for tea and cakes followed by a late dinner in Shanahans. What does anyone think of this? What is the Lord mayors lounge like - i heard its astronomical but Im not sure how much. I just want to push the boat and do what we would never do!

I'm not familiar with the Mayor's Lounge in the Shelbourne but I've heard great things about Shanahans. I haven't yet had the chance to try it though. I've heard you've got to book way in advance though so bear that in mind.

If you're having a decadent sort of day you could start it with a Jazz brunch somewhere.

Shanahan's by reputation is excellent but very pricey and afternoon tea in the Shelbourne will certainly set you back quite a few shekels! Sounds to me like a really lovely day though, relaxation and indulgence and all with a view to what he likes!

Afternoon tea AND Shanahans sounds like too much food to me! I would do an early dinner at Shanahans instead and a nice but light lunch. We did Shanahans for our wedding anniversary and it was fab but the portions are large. Avoid starters if you want to enjoy your amazing steak. Don't miss the onion strings and heavenly mash. Then if you have any room, the desserts are fabulous!