Birds coming down the chimney

K

kwalsh

Hi All
I have recently been having a problem with birds of the feathered kind getting down the chimney of my house and into my sitting room. I have had 2 occurrences over the weekend and its very annoying. We have a gas fire with a chimney and I dont know how they are getting down as the Jackter guard for the roof seems to be ok. Does anyone know anyone I could ring for this around the Lucan area?
Thanks
K​

Go to your builders providers and buy a stainless steel chimney cowel these are fitted over the chimney pot to prevent downdrafts and also to stop birds gaining access to the chimney to nest.
It should cost about 50 euro and you should be able to find somebody handy enough to fit it anybody in the business of roof repairs will charge at most 30 euro then say good bye to howling chimney and your feathered friends.

Note: This will not block off the chimney it is designed to prevent drafts and the invasion of birds it is perfectly safe to continue using your fire.

Good Luck ;)

A Cowel is a device put on the chimney to aid with the draft, its primary function is not to keep birds out.
To keep the birds put a chimney guard is needed, they are a lot cheaper than the cowel and are normally flexible so that the one size fits all.

If on the other hand you do need to put up a cowel, well thats a different matter adn a cowel maybe with a bit of extra wire to keep out the birds.
Good luck

kwalsh. Your Lucan feathered friend visited me yesterday (also in Lucan). He/she must have been a bit of a Houdini as I have a guard on my chimney. On the way down he cleaned the chimney and then made a complete mess of the sitting room, couches, floor, mirrors and in particular the blind on the window. Anybody know how to get (now dried in) wet soot off a blind. At least I think it' soot!!

Back