Bin Tags South Dublin CoCo - increased price online

sun_sparks

I wouldn't mind hearing what people have to say about this. I am looking to purchase bin tags from the sdublincoco.ie website. I am aware that the price is set to increase to €8 from €6 from the 3 April. However, I am not impressed that the price has already gone up on their online site.

I can appreciate why they have done it. (Probably to stop people doing what I had planned on doing!!! ) but I'm wondering about the legality of stopping people buying ANY bin tags at €6 before the change-over date.

Any thoughts?

They are still available for €6 in my local shop. Have you contacted the sdublincoco about this?

Actually just checked the web site further and noted the following:

If householders have unused intact €6 or €3 tags remaining, these may be exchanged at the Council's Cash Offices in Tallaght and Clondalkin on payment of the appropriate amount (e.g. €6 tag plus €2 cash for a new €8 tag). Tags will NOT be exchanged in the retail outlets and shops.

These are their office opening hours:

The Council's payments offices are located at County Hall, Town Centre, Tallaght, Dublin 24, and Civic Offices, Clondalkin, Dublin 22.
The Tallaght Office Opening hours are 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., Monday to Thursday and 9.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m on Friday.The Clondalkin Office opens 9.30am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday.Both offices are open through lunch.

I'm living in Lucan and working in Baggot St. How am I supposed to go in?

I'm scuppered then. Have 5 unused tags at home (purchased at Christmas - being organised!).

Am e-mailing them and will let you know what reply I get.

I notice Dun Laoghaire Rathdown price increase for weight of bin collection this year also. So I suppose price increases are a trend for all Councils! I suggest you get composting. I have a composter from - http://www.growgreensolutions.com/Pages/BigPig.htm. I only put my bin once a month. You could also go to the dump yourself.

That's not good enough. The very least they could do is allow exchanges in shops. Or let people use the old ones up - it's not like people have stockpiled thousands of them or anything - is it!!

I have about 7 as well.

Did anybody get a reply from SDCC about this?

I emailed them to ask why we could not exchange tags at shops or by mail but have not even received an acknowledgement of my mail, let alone a reply.

Maybe they're all too busy reading their customer charter.

I didn't even realise you couldn't use the €6 tags until the collectors ignored my tagged bin on Monday.... doh!!

Typical inefficent public service.

It's probably going to cost them more in admin fees etc to deal with 'upgrading' €6 tags then they'll get out of the process. Not to mention pissing off their customers.

Sorry guys, forgot to post on this.

I actually got a letter a couple of days after e-mailing and posting this asking me to return my unused tags in a prepaid envelope to them for swapping. After worrying briefly about how I would prove that I had sent them, I bunged them in.

Sure enough, three €8 tags arrived a week later to replace my four €6 tags. Not quite sure what they would have done had I a different quantity.

Thanks for that.

I've sent them a second email asking if I can do that as well. I filled in my address also as I don't think I did the first time (I thought they'd reply by email).

I know it's only €24 but it niggles me if I don't do summat about it...

Credit where it's due. I got a reply from SDCC already to my specific question about mailing the tags for an exchange. (That only took about an hour - good stuff.)

A lady called Karen McCann sent me a brief, clear email saying I could mail the tags into the Environmental Services Department for an exchange.

Don't know whether they will say this on their website. the main pages seem to be down at the moment so maybe they're updating?