Bin collection services - dublin - greyhound , citybin and Thornton’s

cmalone

Any advice on domestic refuse bin collection company.

Didn’t realise such a variance and so many options - with Greyhound paying around 19 euro/ month - we have less than half the allowed allocation for blackbin waste.
See offer with CityBin and Thornton’s for 15euro

Greyhound says they can reduce their price to 15 euro per month - but would be less green / Brown bin To meet our needs...

Years ago in a house-share I had to deal with Greyhound and their service (if you can call it that) was absolutely abysmal. The truck never showing up on the day and asking you to leave the full bin on the footpath for days or weeks because they could not tell you which day they would come and empty it. And their customer support was even worse.
Personally I will never use them again if I have an alternative, regardless of the price they offer.
That is just my experience with them.
I found the CityBin very professional and great to deal with.
Thornton's were fine.

Hello,

I left Greyhound for CityBin a few years ago and it was the best move I ever made.

Greyhound were a disaster to deal with, CityBin on the other hand, are very professional.

I've no experience with Thorntons, but I would recommend CityBin in a heartbeat.

Are Panda not in your area?

I've been using them for over 10 years. Never a problem with them. The lid on the green bin got broken during a lift 2 weeks ago, just dropped them an email about it, no problem, someone came out and fitted a new lid within the week

Years ago in a house-share I had to deal with Greyhound and their service (if you can call it that) was absolutely abysmal. The truck never showing up on the day and asking you to leave the full bin on the footpath for days or weeks because they could not tell you which day they would come and empty it. And their customer support was even worse.

Residential bin companies in Dublin at least are assigned a specific day for your area now. So for example in Dublin 3, it is Thursday.
Greyhound, City Bin etc all come on the same day.
In my experience City Bin are earlier, usually sorted by 9am but Greyhound could be afternoon. That might just reflect where I am on the route.
City Bin are much better than Greyhound at returning bins to where they picked them up from.

Interesting to see that so many people have the same experience. We were also with greyhound (who were awful) and moved to city bin (who are great). I’m amazed greyhound are still in business.

IMHO Greyhound have the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with in Ireland. There was overcharging, and repeated non-collection of brown bins on our street.

City Bin by comparison were really good.

Hello,

I left Greyhound for CityBin a few years ago and it was the best move I ever made.

Greyhound were a disaster to deal with, CityBin on the other hand, are very professional.

I've no experience with Thorntons, but I would recommend CityBin in a heartbeat.

Exact same experience as above, as have many i know

Interesting to see that so many people have the same experience. We were also with greyhound (who were awful) and moved to city bin (who are great). I’m amazed greyhound are still in business.

I'd imagine they are still in business because they still have loads of customers who just wont change from any service. The same types who pay fortunes to keep their electricity bill with ESB and Gas with Bord Gais.
They somehow think because they've always dealt with these companies, its too risky to change.
Greuhound replaced the old DCC service so they see them as a continuation of that.
Its probably why we have a comparrison website called Bonkers, because that word explains such people perfectly

Got 16.50 euro deal from greyhound and 1 free month. The others are 15 euro for similar service. So think it works out the same.

I may be in the minority on here - with Greyhound and never had a problem. They have collected by 8am on the relevant morning and bins are left right outside. No issues.

I don't know if it's relevant but I'm in Dublin City area. And I've never had the need to contact the customer support - so no idea whether that is still bad.

Got 16.50 euro deal from greyhound and 1 free month. The others are 15 euro for similar service. So think it works out the same.
Is there a low weight restriction on that? I'm with Greyhound for years and I see my monthly bill is going up to 22.50 a month from July for 40kg black bin.
I compared prices/deals last year and all were much of a muchness so didn't move

Well we don’t use much - so you are probably getting a good enough deal. But we will save now 80 euro in year 1 with Thornton’s - total will be €152

Hello,

Ah, so the whole venture starts with a 'balance transfer', but there was no original balance to repay in the first place? Some of the companies transfer the money directly to your other credit card(s).

Assuming a constant 3% for the life of the mortgage, and overpayment of 5k per annum, reducing term rather than repayment amount, you'd save 1,585 in interest by repaying the 5k in a lump sum at the start of the year (every year) Vs overpaying 417 per month.

But you'd need to do the balance transfer at least 19 times (assuming 12 months interest free is available). But most are shorter. And we're still assuming it can be transferred to your current account, with no cash advance fees.

If you don't have the funds available to repay it, there's risk. I've posted previously about a friend who used credit cards to pay the deposit on a property purchase. This was pre 2008. It all worked beautifully doing 0% balance transfers, until suddenly there were no more. He was paying 20% interest on a 30k balance, while his property lost 50% in value.

+1

CityBin are great...Brilliant guys.

Greyhound are the epitome of shocking service

Back