Bin collection problem

cinders55

I left our full bin out for collection this morning but they wouldn't take it because of a mix-up over the bin registration, they left a sticker on it to that effect. That has now been sorted and the bin may, if we're lucky, be included in an overflow collection early next week. The problem is that during the day someone put a large, heavy bag on top of our own waste and now the lid is standing up in the air and won't close. The Council have told me that it probably won't be picked up now because of the "overloading" which leaves me completely stuck. I try to minimise the charges by composting and recycling everything I can, in fact I'm constantly laughed at for putting recyclables through the dishwasher first but at least that way, there's no smell! Anyway, I only put the bin out when it's full so there was no room for this freeloader to hitch a ride on my account with his garbage. This may seem petty to some but what do I do now? I left a message for the Litter Warden but experience teaches me not to hold my breath on that one, they're so busy they can't cope. I'd like to find out who the cuprit is and return their property to them but that's a long shot at best. Has this happened to anyone else, and if yes, what did you do about it? I'd really appreciate some help on this one. Many thanks.

Litter wardens are usually good, they will come and take away the bag of rubbish and go through it to try and identify the culprit.

Thank you for the information, Leo. I have a lot of time for the Litter Wardens, it's just that they're snowed under and can't deal with everything. I'm going to make a big, waterproof label and attach it to the offending bag, explaining what happened and saying that SDCC already know about it. I'm hoping that the Collection Truck will take the bag on the strength of it. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, I'd imagine they are. I've seen a huge increase in dumping since the introduction of the pay per use schemes. If you get talking to a warden and they agree to come out, put the bag aside so that they can go through it, otherwise remove it from your bin and leave it on the kerb-side.

Hi, just a brief update if anyone's interested. As I feared Leo, I didn't hear from the Litter Warden at all but I did make an A4 size tag with the details on it, waterproofed it and attached it to the offending bag. The overflow collection never happened so we didn't have a bin for the week but the whole lot was picked up on the next regular collection day. I couldn't leave the bag on the kerb as we live on a narrow back road and if the speeders didn't hit it, the foxes / badgers / cats / dogs / crows would have had a ball ripping it open! Anyway, all's well etc., but the exasperation level was pretty high and if I ever get my hands on the dumper, he'll be walking funny forever and I'll be heading for The Joy!

Back