Bin charges in Celbridge - confused

WhoAmI

All,
We're making progress on moving into our new house in Celbridge, but I am very confused about the bin charges. I spoke with a very helpful lady in Kildare County Council, and the gist of the conversation that I came away with was that we can have our bin collected by the council or by one of (I think) three independent contractors, O'Hagans, Thorntons, and someone else. Unfortunately, what I didn't gather is what the difference is, and why I should go with a private contractor over the council. After doing some reading in different posts here, I gather that the contractors can be cheaper than the council, but I'm a bit at sea.

If I go with the council, I will obviously be paying them with the bin tag system, the same as in South Dublin - fair enough. I also have to pay an annual charge for the use of the bin, but no information as to how much.

If I go with a contractor, do I still use the tags or is it a lump sum? There is no info available on this that I can find.

Re: Bin charges in Celbridge - confussed

I asked last year and was told that there is an annual of €180:00 per year and pay for the tag after that, this is with K.C.C. With the private operator I now use it's an annual fee and no tags also a recycle bin this is free. (I asked K.C.C. and was told that they did not operate the recycle bin system)

KCC Refuse details below:
[broken link removed]
Sorry, I don't have any info on private operators ....

for the 240l bin KCC charge a standing charge of €185 and €7 per bin tag,
(i am not sure of the charge for the smaller bin), they also collect the green recycling bin once a month (no charge).
Thorntons have varing charges but do seem to work out cheaper, they also collect the green bin every two weeks.

All right then,
I've made a couple of phone calls and have gathered that Thornton's will collect the wheelie bin for €280 pa, with recycling bin collected every 2 weeks. In Celbridge, they collect on a Thursday.

O'Hagan's will do it for €190 every 6 months, and also include the recycling bin, but I forgot to ask how often that is collected. In Celbridge, they collect on a Monday, the same as the council.

According to the Allied Waste website, who I believe are the third private contractor in the Kiladre area, they offer a service "from as little as €27 per month, including recycling service".

The council, as can be seen from a previous message, will do it for
€185 up front and a bin tag which is €7 per use.

So, in summary, the council prices range from €192 to €549 pa, depending on how often the bin is used. Every 2 weeks would cost €367. O'Hagan's would charge €380 pa, or more expensive than the council if the bin is put out every 2 weeks. Allied Waste seem to be charging about €324 pa, based on their standard bin size. Thornton's say they can charge €280 pa, which is markedly cheaper than anyone else, or else I heard wrongly and it's actually €380.

Hmmm...