Bike to work scheme

Bill90.

Hi

I'm setting up as Ltd next year from sole trader.

I will be director and employee. Can I avail of the bike to work scheme through the limited company?.

Working in transport and the vehicle is kept at home so I don't really have a commute as such but would this realistically ever come to light?.

Would just be a nice perk after years of paying high tax as a sole trader (as will the €1000 gift card annually)

Once you are a paid employee of a company you can avail of the bike to work scheme once the company operates the scheme
One of the conditions of the scheme is the bike has to be mainly used for "qualifying journeys" ie the commute to work
But in the 14 years or so since it's introduction I have never heard or seen revenue enforce this rule

Qualifying journeys
The scheme only applies to qualifying journeys. This means the whole or part of a journey between your home and your normal place of work.

Your employer will ask you to sign a statement stating that the bicycle:
  • is for your own use
  • will be mainly used for qualifying journeys.

There is talk of expanding the scheme to anyone (not just employees) in the budget

Some years ago I contacted a government minister to have the scheme extended to retired people. I know it’s a Cycle to Work scheme and the semantics are unfavourable to my suggestion.

However, I feel “a tax efficient” bike would benefit pensioners and our environment. I should add my suggestion fell on deaf ears. No problem for me, I restored an old mountain bike beautifully and on its first outing with me I managed to break my wrist in a couple of places after an unplanned Fosbury Flop over the handlebars. Thank You Minister.

Also students. Though many have part time work, it is generally not in the businesses that offer bike to work. And ditto for tax saver tickets...though potentially the recent young person rates are better than tax relieved annual passes ?

If you happen to have a bike rack and are visiting France you can buy a decent new adult bike for 250€. Electric models start at 700€. Prices include mudguards, lights, carriers etc.

If you happen to have a bike rack and are visiting France you can buy a decent new adult bike for 250€. Electric models start at 700€. Prices include mudguards, lights, carriers etc.
If you want a cheapish bike we have Decathlon and Halfords here. I don't think the bikes in the French hypermarkets are particularly high quality, though there may be some savings to be made on eBikes.

re: the B2W scheme, if they're going to throw it open to everyone they might as well just make bikes 0% VAT, it would be a lot simpler.

Agree - if using it a lot for a commute it's hard to look past the major brands for quality Trek, Cube, Giant, Specialized, Lapierre etc and prices don't differ all that much between countries ime.

A cheaper option is fine for casual usage but a good frame pays for itself in the long run imo

Back