bike recommendation, cycle to work scheme

kieran160

hi,

im getting myself a bike under the above scheme, my distance to travel for work would be about four miles per day. can anybody recommend a make/model for me as i would be going in clueless to bike shop? what size frame for a man over six foot? i would hope to use the bike more and more once i get it for recreation!

thanks

Just started cycling myself (although my employer not in the cycle to work scheme unfortunately!!).

Anyway, himself got a bike also for same reason and he is over 6 ft.

We went to a large bike place and the staff there were very helpful in terms of what we wanted.

They recommended hybrids as a 'lifestyle' bike, basically a hybrid is a cross between a racer and a mountain bike, the bike wheels are larger than mountain bikes meaning you cover more distance for less effort than with a mountain bike and because you dont specifically want speed theyd be less fast than racers. Theyre kind of big and comfy. I alread knew going in it was a hybrid I was after.

The correct frame and saddle height for you should mean that when you are seated on the saddle you should be able to put one foot to the ground - on your toes, not flat. Also when pedaling your leg should not go into full extension, ie, there should be a small bend in your knee when your leg is as extended as it can be while you pedal.

Himself got an extra large frame, but the only way to know what suits is to take it for a test ride and get the bike shop people to change things (I got them to change the saddle a couple of times and move the handlebars until I was comfortable).

A make to try out is a Giant, thats what I got, and himself was about to get one but changed his mind after pedaling a few different ones around.

They recommended hybrids as a 'lifestyle' bike, basically a hybrid is a cross between a racer and a mountain bike, the bike wheels are larger than mountain bikes meaning you cover more distance for less effort than with a mountain bike and because you dont specifically want speed theyd be less fast than racers. Theyre kind of big and comfy. I alread knew going in it was a hybrid I was after.

I'd also recommend a hybrid for the type of journey you describe. I started cycling about a year ago and contemplated "doing up" my old racer with the drop handlebars. In the end I shelled out on a new one. The hybrid is good in that in gives you a good elevated position with wide wheels that aren't too chunky.

I bought my Trek bike in Border City Cycles in Newry for £250 - comapred with about €410 in Dublin. Even though they're in the north, they're part of the cycle to work scheme. So you can get the benfit of the tax break as well as the lower purchase price.

Back